WineBoard
Meo-Camuzet Wine Tasting and Dinner in DC - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Meo-Camuzet Wine Tasting and Dinner in DC (/thread-6601.html)

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2003

Well the Government sent me TDY to Arlington, VA (last week when it snowed there) so I managed to snare a wine tasting and dinner at Nora (organic) Restaurant in DC. Jean-Nicolas Meo was there along with a French woman who works with him and an importer/distrubutor from Country Vintner in Richmond, VA. It was a wonderful evening. We had a separate room in the restaurant and tasted one white and eight red wines. Some tasty hors d'oeuvres with Bourgogne Rouge 2000. Five-course dinner (small servings) started with chanterelle crusted wild salmon with leek sauce (each course had small vegetable side dish). The wine was a Haute Cotes de Nuits Blanc 2000, Clos St. Philibert. The crispy duck breast (my favorite dish of the evening) was accompanied with a village Nuits-St-Georges 2000 and two N-S-G 1er crus (the Aux Boudots and Aux Murgers, both 2000 vintage). The Aux Murgers was actually my favorite wine of the evening.
It didn't have the mushroom/truffle element I found in a 1997 Murgers from Alex Gambal but was a wonderful sipping wine that complemented the duck. Taste of black cherries, black berries, and touch of pepper (or was that the pepper in the sauce on the duck?) Definitely more bouquet and more complexity than the village N-S-G.
Next course was veal roast with Oregon black truffle sauce with Clos de Vougeot 2000. Several thought the Clos de Vougeot (a grand cru burgundy) was the best wine of the evening but either my palate was tired by then or it was too young to show its stuff. I liked it but prefered the Murgers. I was pretty full by the time they served us rack of lamb with creamy olive polenta and a Vosne-Romanee 1er cru Les Brulees 2000. (Serena Sutcliffe speaks highly of Meo-Camuzet's Les Brulees in her 1999 guide to Burgundy wines.) An organic cheese platter of French cheese was accompanied with the Nuits-St-Georges 1er cru Aux Boudots 1996. I had saved some of the Aux Boudots 2000 to compare with the 1996 vintage. While the 2000 seemed a little rough with tannin, the 1996 had smoothed out. However, the distributor said the 1996 vintage would improve further in about five years. Meo makes a refined style of burgundy and this was apparent in all the wines we sampled. He is gaining a good reputation for consistently producing high quality in his wines. Hope I'm fortunate enough to try one of his grand cru wines (he also has some land in Richebourg) with more age on it some day. The 2000 vintage red burgundies are pretty approachable now if not as fruit-forward as the 1999s. The Aux Boudots was the only one that seemed a bit too tannic at this early stage.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-05-2003).]

- hotwine - 03-05-2003

Nice notes, Wow. Thanks.

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2003

Your welcome.

- Georgie - 03-05-2003

Nice dinner. Wow.