WineBoard
Wine project - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine project (/thread-66.html)

- chefkcbt - 05-15-2000

I have a big wine project due tomorrow and I need help in a major way. If someone can find it in their hearts to help me please email me at chefkcbt@aol.com

- mrdutton - 05-15-2000

Let us wait until the last minute on this one, eh!?!

- Thomas - 05-16-2000

Is this another school project? I am both heartened and disheartened by these school project posts. First, it's nice to know that wine education takes place. Second, it's sad that young people think the Internet is the answer to every life's event; talk about insideous! I'll wager that few of the students even taste wine, with what they have been taught in lower education about alcohol equated with crack/cocaine.

- Drew - 05-16-2000

I really don't think that the school systems equate alcohol with crack/cocaine nor, to my knowledge, do they teach the condemnation of alcohol. Responsible consumption and respect for alcohol yes....drinking for acceptance ,"to be cool", no. I do agree with you though that basic college courses being offered in the study of wine seems to be puzzling.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 05-16-2000).]

- Thomas - 05-17-2000

Drew, I don't think college courses equate alcohol with crack/cocaine. It is in the lower education system where it happens.

I know two wine shop retailers who have had their kids come home from school and question them as to why it is they sell drugs. One of those guys took up the matter with the school principal, but got nowhere.

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2000

We exchanged a couple of e-mails with this lady, as probably some of the rest of you did. Got the impression that she was in a culinary school of some sort. She had to match 20 menue items with 20 wines. Thought she should do the work herself, so referred her back to this thread, and explained how to go back to day one, to do her research.

- Drew - 05-17-2000

It certainly is shocking to realize that is being taught in lower schools anywhere. I work in Baltimore city where we have a HUGE drug and murder problem. I am involved with the G.R.E.A.T. program (Gang Resistance Education And Training) where we talk to elementary students about the negatives in gang participation. We also talk somewhat about drugs and alcohol but never have we equated alcohol with illegal drugs. We do equate, though, the abusive effects and results of alcohol, legal and illegal drugs as their abuse relates to life and medical issues.

Drew

- winecollector - 05-17-2000

If she's actually going to be making the 20 different menu items, and providing 20 different wines, what the heck- I'll volunteer to help out and taste test everything! It sounds like a rough assignment....

- hotwine - 05-17-2000

Wow, did this thread go off on tangents! My two-bits' worth on this subject:
1. I also exchanged emails with this person, and he signed one of them "Peter", so is likely a male.
2. Concur that he is a student in a culinary school.
3. His work on this particular assignment, of matching wines with dishes listed on a menu, seems to have been put off until the last minute, due to a lack of experience in performing research on wine pairings. He's learning to be a chef, not a sommelier, and he was a bit desparate for wine information because he had zero data before posting his plea with us.
4. I don't have a problem with students using the Web for research - I think it's a great idea. They should be cautioned by their instructors not to embrace as truths everything they find there, but most of them learn the same caution about the printed texts that they find in a library. The Web in that way is a lot like a library, but without the oversight that's provided by little old blue-haired ladies who tut-tut as you reach for Lady Chatterly's Lover. (Sorry, Mom (she's a retired librarian...)).

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2000

My apologies. Checked the e-mails and they were not gender specific. Neither were they signed as mine were. Otherwise, agree with Hotmail's comments.

- mrdutton - 05-17-2000

I got two emails from the subject student. Each asked for help but nothing specific.

I replied that I'd see about helping but need to know what information was being sought.

Never got another reply..........

Oh, well......

- chefkcbt - 05-18-2000

I would like to thank everyone for your help. By the way I am a male and I am in culinary school. I got the project done and I was up until four in the mornning doing it. But I did it all by myself. I even switched up menus to Italian with all imported wine. I may have put it off until the last minute but that is usually when i am at my best when i am under pressure. LIke during a rush in the kitchen. Well anyway thank you all especially hotwine.

- hotwine - 05-18-2000

You're very welcome, Chef. Best wishes for a long and successful career.

- winoweenie - 05-19-2000

If this very inventive chef decides to put up his toque in the west, be sure you let us know your final destination. Anyone with this much drive and improvisational talent deserve an audience. Winoweenie