WineBoard
Farmer's Market - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Farmer's Market (/thread-650.html)

- Innkeeper - 07-12-2003

As luck would have it, we now have our own farmer's market right here in tiny Searsport (pop 2500). Even better, it is right across the street from us on the lawn of the Methodist Church. There are only three participants at this point, but they put out some good stuff, including free range eggs, which we love. Yesterday (Fridays are market days) we picked up some new red potatoes. The vendor threw in some garlic thinnings. So we roasted the potatoes with a couple of garlic thinnings in the dish with OO.

Drop dead delicious with broiled Kielbasa, spinach, and Staley's Mourvedre. Bring on the weekend!

- hotwine - 07-12-2003

Ours finally opened just two weeks ago; I had called the couple who run it to ask about them, since they seemed late this year. Sure enough, they were set back by a late freeze and dry spring, but they're in great shape now. We're making entire meals out of their veggies - baked tomatoes, corn on the cob, blackeyed peas, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, shallots, cantaloupe... wonderful, especially with a nice Sauvignon Blanc. I'm really enjoying tomatoe sandwiches for lunch.

- Innkeeper - 07-12-2003

Sounds yummy. We are still a couple or few weeks away from most of those goodies. We are enjoying the best strawberries we've ever had.

- hotwine - 07-12-2003

Shortcake.... yum!

- Georgie - 07-12-2003

Honey, you ain't lived 'til you've eaten a Jersey tomato sandwich! Can't wait 'til they're in.

- tandkvd - 07-12-2003

I had a tomato sandwich for lunch today with a Brandywine Tomato fresh from our garden. And for supper the wife and I are having BLT's.
We've been fighting off the chipmunks and squirls. They have been taking bites off of the tomatos as soon as they start turning. Today my wife found a hot bannana pepper with a bite out of it. That was probaly a supprise to the varmet!

- winoweenie - 07-12-2003

Luckily three of our Farmers' Markets have decided to stay open this summer. Love them suckers. Just got another bushel of Tomatoes yesterday and they be killer. Also making BLTs' tonight.WW

- JagFarlane - 07-12-2003

Wooohooo first of my Jersey tomatoes ripened...granted its just a cherry tomatoe...but plenty of regular sized ones on the way!

- Bucko - 07-12-2003

Tomatoes schmatatoes -- it is berry time here. We just polished off a sinful blackberry cobbler tonight with the in-laws. Makes it less painful.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 07-13-2003

That must be the truth. They told me the same THING!. WW

- ShortWiner - 07-14-2003

Ooohhh, tomatoes...I can't wait till they really hit they're peak here...

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

I took advantage of a special at my grocery store to get blackberries from North Carolina and strawberries from Watsonville, CA. We have two farmers' markets, one on the way home from work, and they have better prices on a lot of produce such as corn-on-the-cob, bell peppers, peaches, etc.

- Thomas - 07-14-2003

Among the fruits and vegetables I WILL NOT eat off-season are tomatoes and dark berries. Luckily, both types are coming into their own in the East--but for the tomatoes, not here yet.

NYCity has one of the best Farmer's Market programs I have ever witnissed--there are so many great farms north of the city, all the way to the Finger Lakes, and many are at the markets--flowers and other plants, fruits and berries, vegetables, goat cheeses, and wine.

- winedope1 - 07-16-2003

mmmmm- just finshed putting up 3 batches of strawberry preserves. Ready to start on the pickles next week. STILL waiting on my tomatoes. My favorite farmer passed on this spring and his family is not going to keep the stand open. : (.