WineBoard
Help with wine selection - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Help with wine selection (/thread-645.html)

- LDF1956 - 03-12-1999

To Wine Curmudgeon: In response to you query, my location is Texas. There seems to be many upstart wineries in the state...but I do not know much about them. Also I have no idea what price range I may be dealing with..moderate when available, value at best.

To Jason and foodie: the suggestions the two of you made were most similar, and I will look into the availability of the two wines that were suggested. And Jason...the very idea that I might "blow her foodie doors off" somehow appeals to me!! since it is 'kinda what I had in mind.

Fell free to make more suggestions, the three of you, I have until the 26th of this month to decide. Thanks again
LDF1956

[This message has been edited by LDF1956 (edited 03-13-99).]

- Jerry D Mead - 03-13-1999

LDF...You don't give us an idea of the budget you have in mind...nor do you tell us where you live. Both are important. Some wines are not available in all markets...and wine prices range from value to outrageous with everything in between.

With the pork chop, speaking in the most general terms, I'd go for a Pinot Noir and there are very good American versions from California and Oregon.

To go with the flan, a half bottle (375ml) of a good French Sauternes or California Late Harvest Riesling is bound to impress.

Tell us where you live and provide some price parameters and we can get a lot more specific.

And there are many other alternatives for the pork chop...maybe some of our other members will make some other suggestions. Relative dry roses can be good and I like California Sangioveses too.

JDM

- Jason - 03-13-1999

A good Pinot would be a great call, and how about Madeira with the flan.
Acid in the wine will help balance out the flan while still picking up on the caramel/vanilla aspects. Not only that but you'll blow her "foodie" doors off with these.

- Thomas - 03-13-1999

Pinot Noir is a good choice for the pork, but then so is dry Riesling (not from California -- from New York or Germany)
Definitely go with Madeira for the flan. Perhaps a mid-range, Bual.

- n144mann - 03-13-1999

Hey guys, would the Pinot Noir still work with the pork if its marinated in onion/garlic?? Or do we need to move down the list in weight?

Madiera with flan......have to give that a try.
Thanks for all your help!!
Nancy

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 03-13-99).]

- Jerry D Mead - 03-14-1999

Re the Pinot...in the value arena it's hard to beat Napa Ridge (around $10)in just about any vintage.

So many good wines in the $15 to $25 range that it's tough to make specific recommends without knowing some of the options your merchant has to offer. Why don't you ask the merchant to suggest three of his favorite Pinots and then we'll help you make the final selection.

JDM