WineBoard
Sokel Blosser 2002 Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Sokel Blosser 2002 Pinot Noir (/thread-6356.html)

- n8cas - 11-11-2005

Wine spectator is too expensive to join. The Ponzi 2002 pinot's are long gone, so I was looking for the best 30 dollar range OREGON PINOT NOIR. Did I make a good choice with the Sokel Blosser? Or should I have gone with the Ponzi 2003 vintage? What's the rating of the Sokel Blosser 2002 Pinot Noir?

- wondersofwine - 11-13-2005

The 2002 Sokol Blosser was rated 89 points by "The Wine Report" and 90 points by "The Wine News" according to Paterno Wines International. I do not have personal experience with Sokol Blosser but feel you probably got a good wine. I too passed on the 2003 Ponzi the other day because my preference would have been for the 2002 and I have a number of earlier vintage of Pinots (California and Oregon) to drink up. If you like some California Pinots you might look out for Susan Selby's 2004 Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley (pre-arrival). It's from a French clone that is new to her wines and she says it may be her best Pinot Noir ever (the 2003 is pretty nice also). Are you a fan of Torii Mor Pinot Noir from Oregon? That's another in that general price range that I usually like.

- n8cas - 11-25-2005

thanks very much for your input. I will give the Russian River Valley Pinot a try (if I can find it) I live in CT and apparently Ponzi only sent 52 cases FOR THE ENTIRE STATE OF CONNECTICUT, 2002. So it might be a tough one to find. Do you buy wines online?

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2005

I buy most of my wine from a retailer in Raleigh, NC but have ordered directly from the winery a few times now that North Carolina allows shipping from wineries. I have found Ponzi at several retailers and Torii Mor at one retailer in Raleigh (not my usual shop). I've also encountered the Torii Mor on restaurant lists in Charleston, SC and Washington, DC and visited their winery while in Oregon in August. Also went to the Dundee Bistro run by the Ponzi family and had a tasting and lunch there but purchased the Ponzi Arneis (a white wine from an Italian-origin grape).

- n8cas - 12-03-2005

thanks! I'm obviously not at the same level as you when it comes to wine collecting. What would you suggest for a beginner, who LOVES reds, and doesn't have that much money to spend?

- Innkeeper - 12-03-2005

Check out the Spanish thread. Lots of good stuff at great prices there. If you check my latest post, there is an excellent importer right there in CT.

- wondersofwine - 12-05-2005

I would echo IK on the Spanish wine. Also, domestic producers who usually do a good job with red wines at grocery store prices include Bogle and Cline in California and Columbia Crest in Washington State. You might also try Snoqualmie from Washington if you see it. If you like Zinfandel, try Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel or Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zin or Dry Creek Valley Zin.
(The 2002 Seghesio is selling at inflated prices if you can find it due to a high rating but the 2004 is not available.)