WineBoard
2000 Ch. Guibot "La Tourvieille" Puisseguin St Emilion - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Ch. Guibot "La Tourvieille" Puisseguin St Emilion (/thread-6224.html)

- hotwine - 12-02-2003

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of the proprietor of the discounter I frequent, and just now got around to trying it. With oak-grilled portobellos marinated in OO, balsamic vinegar and a dash of Italian seasoning. Good fruit (Merlot predominating), with earth, mushrooms, cigar ash on the nose & palate, moderate finish showing bruised black cherries. 13.5% ABV and $13.99. I'll buy more. Love these "last growth" cheapo 2000 Bordeaux!

- jackl - 12-04-2003

hotwine, that sounds like something that would be right up my alley. I've had moderate success with Bordeaux wines, but I have yet to have a merlot with the depth of earthy, mushroomy flavors you decribe. The best I've had so far was a 1999 Siaurac from Lalande-de-Pomerol that was quite on the other end of spectrum from yours. While not bad it was pretty light and sort of one dimensional. Having only tried one from this area, I'm not sure if it was the vintage or the style of the wines. Have you tried any from Fronsac or Canon-Fronsac? I've seen a few of these and wonder if they might be more earthy/fuller in their makeup. Thanks.

- hotwine - 12-04-2003

No, I've not seen any of the Fronsacs. But did return to the discounter today for a case of the Guibot, still at the same price.

- hotwine - 04-18-2004

Popped another of these dudes last night with oak-grilled NY strips and roasted mixed veggies (sliced new spuds, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, 'shrooms, garlic cloves, red peppers). Muted nose needing an hour's decanting (and warming from cellar temperature), very soft entry with no hard edges, silky center of bruised black fruit, slipping off to a quiet exit. It nearly put us both to sleep at the table! Revived with a slice of chocolate cake and a wee tad of Warre's '92 LBV.

- hotwine - 10-14-2004

Hadn't tried this one for six months, so decided to do so last night with BBQ'd brisket, baby russets and spinach salad. Still exactly the same as back in May.... completely closed upon opening, but coming alive after an hour in decanter at room temperature. Same notes as before, no change at all. If you ever encounter this juice at a tasting or order it in a restaurant, the air-time required to fully develop in the glass could pose a problem. Patience, patience, patience.

- hotwine - 09-21-2009

Went with this one tonight to accompany the leftover BEEF tenderloin D prepared with her sister in Houston over the weekend (their annual antique fair was going on, and neither of those two girls can resist such an event). There's been no change in the Guibot.... Merlot obviously dominating with CS and apparent Cab Franc also present... very soft, uncomplicated, but very tasty with the food (included steamed broccoli and romaine salad with a killer dressing of mayo, EVOO, Worchestershire sauce, S&P, grated parmesan). D & her sis had an '01 Fiefs de Lagrange with theirs in Houston, and seems to have been much better.... she decanted properly. (I stocked the S-I-L's cellar but lack good records on what's there now, so when she called and asked for a wine rec, I simply said "Bordeaux with some whiskers on it." There should be some St Julians from the late 90's, unless they've all been consumed already). Oh well, this worked just fine.