WineBoard
2000 Ch. d'Armailhac, Paulliac (WS90) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Ch. d'Armailhac, Paulliac (WS90) (/thread-6048.html)

- hotwine - 06-27-2003

Found this at Costco today for $22.99. They had also had the Ch. Talbot (WS93) for $31.99, but had sold out. Gotta move fast!

- Bucko - 07-03-2003

But have you tried it, you old doggy puncher?

- hotwine - 07-03-2003

Nope, not yet. Will wait until we grill some more steaks. Could be this weekend... or maybe not. Wife specifies the menu....

- Thomas - 07-04-2003

you gotta put your foot down ole man! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 07-04-2003

Nah, I know when I'm well off. She's a wonderful cook. I'm happy to assist, and find the right wines to match her cooking.

- hotwine - 07-06-2003

OK, couldn't resist any longer. We had oak-grilled burgers the last two days, so tonight I grilled some portobello 'shrooms ... Stuffed the caps with cloves of fresh garlic and pinenuts, drizzled on some Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette, served up with baked tomatoes (tops cut off, covered with grated parmesan and butter), sweet corn on the cob, blackeyed peas. All the veggies were fresh.

The wine was decanted an hour before dinner, but that wasn't nearly long enough. Delightful nose of muted wildflowers with a touch of cigar ash and new calfskin.... but the palate was lacking - crushed berries over a bed of very harsh tannins. Better after another hour.... but this puppy needs time.

- hotwine - 11-10-2004

Tried one last night with smoked Pike's Peak roast and mixed veggies with Idaho spuds. Holy cow, this thing is sleeping as soundly as Rip van Bucko at a PTA meeting! Decanting for two hours didn't help, it's out cold. Will try again next year.

- hotwine - 06-07-2005

Tried it again tonight with pot roast, gumbo and yellow squash. Decanted an hour before dinner, should have been double that, but developing nicely. Nose is wonderful, with cigar ash and black currant; same coming through on the palate, but tannins are still harsh and needing time. Patience, patience.

- winoweenie - 06-08-2005

Notice that I haven't opened a 2000 since the original tasting notes on release? Will start with the lesser growths next year and work on up. WW

- jmcginley1 - 06-08-2005

Patience in a virtue(that I lack). When are you going to start popping open those 2000's?

- hotwine - 07-30-2006

Finally popped one tonight to check on progress. Yee-haa! It's finally waking up! Nose is the same, with a bit more fruit (raspberries) on chocolate, touch of cedar.... palate is now echoing the nose, but just a bit subdued still. Promising, promising. With NY strips, oven fries, brocolli, yellow squash, finished with a square of Girardelli dark chocolate. And later, blueberry cobbler a la mode. Criminal! (burp)

- TheEngineer - 07-31-2006

That sounded like a fine meal...and it's only breakfast time here....

- hotwine - 10-14-2006

Had another with grilled ribeyes tonight (with oven fries and green beans). This sucker seems like it must have dozed off again! Can't duplicate July's TN..... it's OK, just not ringing bells. The fruit's sleepy, not much structure, no pronounced character. "Hollow" is the best I can come up with to describe it. Will pull another sometime next year.

- hotwine - 01-19-2009

Yee-haa! It's awake now, big time! Classic nose and HUGE RED FRUIT on the palate! Red cherries, bing cherries, black cherries, raspberries, pencil shavings, graphite, still with drying tannins to carry it further, nice loooong finish. With oak-grilled fillet mignon, bigass baked Irish spuds with trimmings, green beans, finished with chocolate squares. Holy smokes, I don't deserve a meal like this!

Failed to mention that it was decanted for four hours.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 01-19-2009).]

- TheEngineer - 01-20-2009

Looking back at that price makes this look like a great deal too!

- hotwine - 01-20-2009

Don't know that we'll see those prices again.... unless this recent phenomenon of "deflation" persists. Haven't seen any evidence of falling prices among local wine retailers... yet.

Failed to mention that dinner last night was preceded by Prosecco and escargots (burp).

- hotwine - 01-19-2010

Had another tonight with oak-grilled NY strips, lil taters, carrots, onions, baked beans. Seems to be TOIG. Notes from a year ago still apply, no fading at all, just a deeee-lightful cup o' juice. Finished with dark chocolate (72% cocoa) with raspberries; perfect!

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 01-18-2010).]