WineBoard
Question . . . - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Question . . . (/thread-5970.html)

- dananne - 02-01-2003

Anyone have any TNs or familiarity with Chateau Grand Mayne St. Emilion 1997? Found it on closeout at a local store for $12 -- picked up a bottle and am thinking of buying more.

Also on closeout was a Cali cab -- Bradford Mountain Headwater Vineyard Dry Creek Valley 1998 -- also for $12. Again, bought a bottle.

Any comments on either would be appreciated. My wife and I don't drink many cabs, but it's always good to have some nice ones in the house for when we entertain!

Thanks in advance!

- Drew - 02-01-2003

dananne, I have no direct experience with either wine but did a TN search over many sites for your two wines. I think the Grand Mayne is a good buy for $12 but can't find any positive notes for the Bradford Cab. It seems that in the case of the Bradford that the '98 vintage reared it's ugly head leaving a thin wine with a short finish....of course your taste is all in your mouth, so taste them before you buy more. The only thing worse than a bargain supply of bad wine is a full retail price supply of bad wine!

Bradford Mountain
1440 Grove St., HealdsburgCA, 95448
Phone: (707) 431-4455
E-mail: arosenblum@hv-w.com
Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon
www.bradfordmountain.com

Drew

- hotwine - 02-01-2003

I've had the Mayne, but can't find the TN. Mutter, grumble. It's a grand cru classe, and the '97 is available at Spec's in Houston for $60.71/btl. Drink that one bottle today, to make sure it's not cooked, and if it's good, run don't walk back to that shop and buy a case. Really good deals on close-outs have the life-expectancy of a junebug on a lilly pad.

- dananne - 02-02-2003

Thanks, guys, for the advice.

Popped the Mayne last night. Bit of chocolate on the nose, medium bodied with dark fruit and plum lurking somewhere behind earth with some tannin backbone. Seems like the fruit may be fading a bit, or perhaps just hasn't come out to play yet. I saw that WS advised to drink to '04, so maybe the former is more accurate. I just don't drink enough cab to tell for sure. At any rate, it seems a very nice wine for $12, and should please our cab friends who will visit the house over the next year, so we'll be picking up a half case.

Will perhaps give the Bradford a shot next weekend.

- winoweenie - 02-02-2003

Dananne, I second ole' Hotsie-poos advice. Call a cab if you must,as my last encounter with this sucker was extremely pleasant. ww

- dananne - 03-04-2007

We had the last bottle from the half case of '97 Grand Mayne last night. Out of the six, one was heat damaged, which likely explains why they were on closeout in the first place. The rest, however, were fine and more than made up the difference, as they evolved into lovely bottles. In fact, the one last night seemed to be just hitting the top of it's game, and it would have gone another 3-5 easy before starting the downward slide. Gorgeous red fruits with that dark chocolate element everpresent. Polished tannins continue to hold the package together, and the finish was long and lovely. Now I wish I hadn't rushed to drink them, as it would have been nice to taste again after 15. But, you never know with these sorts of things -- I could have been carefully tending to vinegar for all I knew. As it turned out, though, we got the opportunity to drink a bottle of 10-yr old Grand Cru St Emilion for all of $12 bucks. So, can't complain too much.

Oh, and the WS "drink to '04" advice was insanity.

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 03-04-2007).]

- winoweenie - 03-04-2007

As usual in a spotty vintage you'll find the exception to the rule. There's a reason a property has the "Grand Cru Class" designation. WW