WineBoard
aging bordeaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: aging bordeaux (/thread-5939.html)

- jenash - 03-21-2003

i have been trying a lot of bordeaux lately and i have been told some are better drank now and some are better if vintaged another 2 to 3 years. if all the bordeaux i have is vintage 2000, how do i know which ones to drink now and which ones to let age a couple more years? what are the guidelines for this?

- winoweenie - 03-23-2003

Hi Jenash and welcome to the board. There are 1000s' of Bordeauxs and many are made for immediate consumption and many will age for varying times. If you purchased these from a reputable wine shop the owner can guide you in the different time frames, allowing that you have adequate storage faciliries. WW

- Innkeeper - 03-23-2003

I have one 2000 Bordeaux that is in the rack for six months. We soon be taking possession of six 2000 Chateau Lagrange that won't be opened prior to 2010. You have to find out from your retailer how long each should be aged. As a very, very broad rule of thumb, if you paid less than $15, it is an early drinker. If it cost more, and you have a good idea that it was well crafted, it should be aged at least ten years. Talking about 2000 here, it varys depending on the quality of the vintage.

- dinwiddie - 03-28-2003

The truth is almost any Bordeaux (red that is) will benefit with some age. However, as a general rule, the Bordeaux Superior, Artisan, Cru's etc are better earlier than later.

That said, the 2000s are exceptional and if you have a classified growth should hold up for many years. I find that the 96s are drinking well now, but have no thought of opening the 3rd growths from that year yet. A truly great Bordeaux shouldn't be opened for at least 10 years and can last as much as 50. In fact, the 1961s are supposed to be wonderful right now.

As for yours, I's keep them in the rack for at least a couple of years before opening them, but if you must, let them breath for a while then try them. They should be even better the next day. If you have something special, like the Lagrange, keep if as long as you can hold out. I have no intention of opening my Lagrange until 2010-15 or so. A lot of how long to age Bordeaux depends on what kind it is. For the 2000's I'd suggest that you not drink the St. Emilions until 2010 or so as they are exceptionally tannic now. Paulliacs, St. Julians and Margauxs are the approachable in now, but after next year I'd let them wait until after 2010 as they will probably shut down. However after 2010, they should be wonderfully complex and enjoyable. Pessac Leognans are very enjoyable now, but will be better in 5 years. I would think that the St. Estephes and Pomerols should be kept for a while again 2010 or so. For drinking now, I's suggest you stick to Cru's, Medocs, and Haut Medocs. They should be good for the next 10 years or so.

The 2000s may turn out to be wines that 20 years from now are in such demand that they will command astronomical prices, so if you have some good ones, hold on to them.

- winoweenie - 03-28-2003

Hi Dinwiddle and my welcome to the board. Most of your advice I agree with. However I deeply disagree with your last paragraph of advice. The reason to buy good wines is the ability to DRINK it in the future and enjoy it in the company of friends. I personally never buy a wine as an instrument of investment. I've enjoyed with my many friends hundreds of bottles of 82 Bordeauxs' from my cellar and never once have I thot what the wine was selling for. I remember that I paid 40 bucks for 82 Lafite, Mouton, Latour, Haut Brion, and Margaux and have the satisfaction of opening a wonderful bottle of wine that by todays standards is cheap for my friends and I to enjoy. As has been stated on this forum many times..." Stocks are for investing, Wine is for Enjoying " WW

- Kcwhippet - 03-29-2003

We're past 500 and approaching 600 bottles on the cellar. We have a lot of stellar stuff, but it's all for drinking. Didn't get a single bottle as an investment.