WineBoard
Taste of old Pauillac... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Taste of old Pauillac... (/thread-5930.html)

- Caesar - 05-28-2000

A friend asked me over to try a bottle of wine he had bought the other night. Imagine my suprize when I discovered a bottle of 1996 Lynch Bages open on the counter when I arrived. After informing him he really should have waited a few years, we proceeded. As you can probobly guess, the wine was so big and tannic, it was almost undrinkable. The next day, however, the tannins and "lead-pencil" tastes were in the background of all the current and cedar. I realize this is no substitute for proper aging, but having never tasted a great Bordeaux that's been properly cellared, can anyone tell me how this may compare and what I could really expect?(The Bages was really good the next day, but unbalanced and a little gangly.)

thanks!Caesar.

- winecollector - 05-28-2000

While you are right in that letting a wine sit for some time after opening is no substitute for proper ageing, it is a good way of finding out where a wine is at on the "time line" of its drinkable life. I wouldn't recommend it if you only have one bottle of something, but if you have several bottles or cases, it's about the best way to tell when a wine is likely to peak. I'll probably go five or six more years on the Lynch Bages before I open mine.

I've had wines that have taken a week or longer after opening, before they've become approachable enough to enjoy. These are wines that I'm guessing will continue to age for decades!

- winoweenie - 05-28-2000

Lunch Bags is one of the great Bordeaux. Most take at least 10 years of cellaring before starting to hit their stride.Known ( and Rightly so ) as the " poor mans Mouton " Lynch has provided many great wine moments for me. Before one of the celebrated tastings against Mouton, vintage to vintage, Lynch was one of the great Bordeaux bargains. It still is a value, but like most fine winmes, no longer a bargain. Winoweenie

- Caesar - 05-28-2000

winecollector, what were the wines that took a week to approach? Just curious...

winoweenie, I think we'd better rename Lynch Bages to "Not-quite-so-rich-man's Mouton"

- winecollector - 05-29-2000

Several different 82' and 90' Bordeaux that I have opened, mainly from St Emilion, have come across this way. I have not opened any of the first growths yet from either vintage. I also haven't opened any of my 89' Bordeaux yet. A couple that come to mind that I did open from 82' and 90' are La Gaffiliere and Chateau Tayac's Prestige label. The 85' Tayac Prestige has been wonderful and ready to drink in the meantime, and is not likely to improve any more with ageing. Also, I wouldn't even think of opening any of my Gruard Larose until it's at least 15 to 20 years of age, possibly older!