WineBoard
Merlot Wine Tasting Party - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Merlot Wine Tasting Party (/thread-593.html)

- bshort - 02-27-2001

What type of food do I serve for a Merlot wine tasting party?

- Innkeeper - 02-27-2001

Hi Bshort, and welcome to the Wine Board. Guess you don't realize it, but you asked a wide open question. First, what kind of a wine tasting? Is it an opportunity to taste some different merlots and eat food? Or is it to determine which of some different merlots are better than each other? Second, what kind of merlot are we talking about. Is it just some California or Northwest Merlots that are well laced with oak and go only with beef or lamb. Or are there some Pomerol or St Emilion; or Italian Collio or Collio Friuli, or South African Merlots involved?

If you are talking about judging wines, you just need bread. Hunks of quartered baguette work fine. If you want to just enjoy some balanced merlots with food, add some raw veggies, and mild cheeses. If you want to drink some highly oaked blockbuster merlots with food, add some dry beef sausage in small pieces, cubes of garlicy leftover leg of lamb, pop corn shrimp, sharp cheese, and other strongly flavored cold cuts.

Have a good time.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-27-2001).]

- bshort - 03-01-2001

Hello Innkeeper, you are correct I do need to clarify my question.
10 of us have started a Wine Club. We meet every month or so and select a particular grape. So we decided Merlot. Doesn't really matter from which region. The price range is around $15-20. Usually we do only serve bread, cheese and fruits because we meet on Fridays. This time we're meeting on Saturday and having a full dinner party at the same time. The focus of our party is wine tasting but I want to make sure I serve and suggest (potluck) dishes that will complement the wine. I realize that you're suppose to do it the other way around but in this case, it's being done differently.

Any suggestions.

- Innkeeper - 03-01-2001

If you are going to open Pomerols or St Emilions would have folks bring rich meat or game dishes (stews, ragouts, etc). If you are going to open American, Australian, or Chilian Merlot you need to serve foods that will handle the oak. More simple meat dishes, complex poultry dishes, oily fish, no shellfish. If you are going to open the Italian Merlots we recommended, you could go with Italian dishes including meat or fish in sauce, pastas, etc. If you open a variety of the different merlots, which is recommended, you can have all the above.

- bshort - 03-01-2001

It'll be more Californian, Chilean and Australian Merlots we'll be looking at. Again I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.
What type of appetizers, side dishes do you recommend?
I think Chicken may be a good choice for us. Simple meat dishes...can you be a bit more specific. Are you thinking something like a roast beef dinner or so?

I really appreciate all your help and suggestions. As much as I am not helping you help me, you're doing very well.

Thank you.

Brigitte

- Innkeeper - 03-01-2001

Simple meats could be sliced roast beef, lamb, and turkey. Chicken should be in casserole. Bluefish or tuna in casserole too. Sides could include mild vegetables, salads such as pototo or pasta. If you have a tossed salad stay away from vinegar based dressings, merlot is very low in acid. Appetizers could include raw vegetables, and mild cheeses. Do not serve shellfish, it is anathema to oak.