WineBoard
Lemon Risotto an Prosciutto wrapped Prawns - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Lemon Risotto an Prosciutto wrapped Prawns (/thread-588.html)

- lolly mackenzie - 09-26-2001

I am serving a very creamy lemon risotto with some pan roasted prosciutto wrapped prawns. There is no wine in the risotto - fish stock - egg - lemon (very subtle) and parmesan. What wine would be best served with this salty, tangy, creamy, cheesey combination???

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2001

Hi Lolly. An Italian Sauvignon or blend thereof would be worth scratching around for.

- wondersofwine - 09-26-2001

Lolly,
I just want to come to dinner with you!
I've gotten into preparing risotto lately and have had good success with using a jar of heart of palm with minced pimiento and finely diced red bell peppers. Now I want to try out some mushroom risotto recipes. Would like to be able to find chanterelles or porcini or the like.
I'll ask the wine board for their recommendations for wine with the mushroom risotto.

- Bucko - 09-26-2001

Sancerre for the former, Chianti or CdR for the latter.

- Thomas - 09-26-2001

If you can find a Soave Superiore (one called Tamellini would be a nice choice) go for it with the lemon risotto. Otherwise, Sauvignon Blanc would do, but I do not recommend the Sancerre--too austere; I like a fruitier version of SB with the dish. As for the CDR with the mushroom risotto, not for me. I like Pinot Blanc, stainless steel treated Chardonnay or a lighter red like Refosco or Pinot Nero.

- Botafogo - 09-26-2001

I would vote for a clean,DRY, fruity and spicy rosato like Bardolino Chiaretto or Cerasuolo di Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Or, if you can find it, a Grignolino.

sounds YUMMY, roberto

- Bucko - 09-26-2001

Depends on the Sancerre -- there are all kinds of styles, many not austere at all.

Another good choice is a NZ Sauvignon -- dandy wines coming from that region.

- Thomas - 09-27-2001

Grignolino! I do like that suggestion, but try finding one; I am sure Roberto has one somewhere around; I haven't seen one available in NYCity. And the New Zealand SB is also a good choice. But you know, after looking at the first post, and realizing there is that prosciutto, I can imagine a nice dry Riesling or perhaps a fine Albarino (with the accent over the n). So many choices, so few times a day to eat dinner!!!

- Botafogo - 09-27-2001

Foodie, the best wine Heitz Cellars in Napa makes is their Grignolino rose and it is about $6!!!! Ask your Heitz distributor, they always have some they just never tell anyone about it.

- wondersofwine - 09-28-2001

Thanks for all the suggestions on the mushroom risotto--if I go with what is on hand I may open a Macon-Lugny (presumably no oaking). I do think one of the local distributors represents Heitz so I may ask about the availability of the Heitz Grignolino Rose'. That would certainly be a new wine for me. BTW, I'm going to a tasting of Italian wines next Thursday in Raleigh. The $30 fee is going to a relief fund for the victims of the terrorist attacks plus 10% of any wine sales made that evening. The following day (a week from today) I will be getting on an airplane for the first time since September 11th. Wish me luck or send a prayer my way.