WineBoard
Mothers Day Cook Out - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mothers Day Cook Out (/thread-578.html)

- tandkvd - 04-29-2003

I am planning a Mothers Day cook out for about 16 people. I would like to do something a little different besides the usual chicken or burgers. But not too awful difficult, after all, I will be doing the cooking. So take it easy IK. Mabey something to go with some grilled vegetables, and Wine sugestions. Although I do know I will be having my current favorate wine: Rosemont G/S.

- Innkeeper - 04-30-2003

This one originally came from the 1970 (5th edition) of the Sunset Barbeque Cookbook (back when California food was emulatable). It will serve your crowd and go with your Rosemount.

VENEZUELAN BARBEQUED PORK:

6 lb (or more) Butt half fresh ham (boned & butterflied)
1 lg Onion chopped
1 4 oz can Pimientos drained and chopped (or 2 red peppers roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped)
1 tsp Crushed garlic
1/3 C Chopped parsley
½ C White wine vinegar
¼ C Olive oil
½ tbl Salt
¼ tsp Pepper

Have butcher bone and butterfly the meat, or do it yourself (not too difficult). The meat should end up as close as possible to the same thickness throughout. Combine other ingredients in a bowl and let set for awhile. Set meat fat side down on a work surface. With a sharp knife, crosshatch the meat about ½ inch deep. Put the meat, scored side up, in a baking dish or marinator and pour marinade over it. Let stand two hours. Scrape marinade off meat and reserve. Place meat, scored side down over low coals. Cover grill if possible, and cook slowly for one hour. Turn meat and cook another hour or hour and a half (170 degrees), basting with the marinade several times Heat remaining marinade. Slice meat, and nap with heated marinade. Serve.

Note: It is essential to use the butt half of a fresh ham (unsmoked), and not a Boston butt (a.k.a. pork butt, shoulder butt). The latter are too small and cook differently; and are best for pit barbeque. If the meat person makes you buy a whole ham, save the shank end for later, and roast it much the same way you would a loin of pork.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-30-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 04-30-2003

Zinfandel is another nice barbeque wine. On the less expensive side you might go with Cline, Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel, or Bogle. If you can find it and are willing to pay a bit more, Greenwood Ridge makes a very nice zinfandel. I've also heard Rosenblum recommended but haven't tried it yet.
I'm going to keep IK's recipe handy. I still use several recipes from a Sunset Appetizer cookbook that I bought when I lived in California in the 80's.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-30-2003).]

- tandkvd - 05-02-2003

Thanks IK, just what I wanted. I called a couple butchers and they said that they don't have fresh ham this time of year. But I talked to a local butcher that is from New York and he said that I should use a pork loin, but he could special order a fresh ham if I wanted. What do you think?

- Innkeeper - 05-02-2003

Do it!!!!!!!!!

- tandkvd - 05-10-2003

Thanks again IK! I had the cookout tonight and the VENEZUELAN BARBEQUED PORK was a hit!!! Had it with, yellow squash, zukini, onions and mushrums marinated in cesar salad dressing, then put them on bamboo skewers and cooked on the grill, corn on the cob and a salad with red wine vinegrerete dressing. And of course the Rosemont G/S. Was a beautifull day for a cookout, although it was about 90 deg. But our entire back yard is in the shade by 5:00 from the trees, and there was a nice breeze. A perfect Carolina day.

I made note of the Zin. WOW. That is going to be my next venture into wine. Don't let WW know this, but I have never tried Zin. I've got stuck with the Spanash Temprallo based wines and anything with Grenache.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 05-10-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 05-11-2003

You are very welcome. Glad everyone was happy.

- winoweenie - 05-11-2003

It's OK there T. You're drinking the rite color so the varietal don' matter much [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]WW

- tandkvd - 09-21-2003

We had the Venezuelan Barbequed Pork again tonight, with blackeyed peas and Kale & Turnup greens. Had it with Chateau Montroche, Costieres de Nimes 50/50 Grenache/Syrah. The wine has a smokey, soil taste up front. Some may think that it is too big of a wine for the pork but I liked it very much.

By the way IK, I added this recipe to the cookbook, we love it.

- Georgie - 09-22-2003

Thanks for doing that, tandkvd! Keep those recipes coming folks!