WineBoard
1982 Chateau Mouton Pauillac - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 1982 Chateau Mouton Pauillac (/thread-5755.html)

- jfones - 05-22-2000

I have aquired several bottles of 1982 Chateau Mouton Pauillac. Can someone tell me what a bottle is worth today? Should we drink it now or wait? How long? What about breathing time or decanting for best results? Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
jfones

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2000

You can go to www.wine-searcher.com to find the current retail value of your wine. Looked it up recently and seem to recall a large range from $370 to $950 per bottle on the worldwide market. If you want to drink the wine yourself, there is no better than the present unless you have a machine to take you back a few years. 1982 was a fantastic Bordeaux vintage, but nobody claimed it had long legs. Thoroughly enjoyed all our '82s, a long time ago.

- Thomas - 05-23-2000

Many of the 82 Bordeaux wines I recently tasted have faded.

- winecollector - 05-24-2000

I opened an 82' St Emilion a year ago, and found it still on the young side. The Pauillac wines such as your Mouton from '82 are supposed to be drinkable now, but should likely improve with age. Source- Oz Clarke's Guide to Wine.

Since you indicate you have several bottles of it, I would recommend opening one, and seeing for yourself where it's at on the wine time-line.

Foodie- I was wondering....the 82's you say you recently tasted that were faded, do you remember which ones they were? I'm curious to know, since the claim has been made by many in the wine biz that 82' was one of the top years for Bordeaux in the century- right up there with '45 & '61. Also, any idea if they were properly stored (if not your own wines)? I've got an '82 Pomerol, Clos Rene, that I'm beginning to worry if I kept it too long.

Winecollector

- Thomas - 05-25-2000

The most recent I remember tasting was one of my favorites: Coufran. Fading, but drinkable. The 83 was in much better shape--go figure.

Unfortunately, the others I tasted were at a tasting about six months ago, and I (oh, heavens) cannot find my notes!

- winoweenie - 05-28-2000

WC, Clos Rene is one of the minor growths of Pomerol that normally is a drink early. I personally went through 2 cases of the wonderful 82 before 90. You have probably kept this wine way past its` prime. As for the 82 Mouton. This 1st growth is one of the stars os the great 82 vintage, and assuming proper storage it is a heck of a long way from the pickle-jar. I also would reccommed opening a bottle, and assuming they have been stored consistant with their pedigree, you are in for a treat. Winoweenie

- jfones - 05-28-2000

I took your advice and opened a bottle yesterday. I decanted it and let it breathe for three hours before tasting it. Then I tasted it every thirty minutes or so. I seemed to get better with each tasting.

We enjoyed it with dinner later last evening. We thought it had enormous flavor concentration, that exhibited huge tannin and immense body. It seemed packed with ripe currant, plum, and anise flavors, long and deep. To us, the wine met our expectations and was not faded. I will store the rest of the bottles for special occasions in years to come.

I really appreciate all of your advice and comments.

- winoweenie - 05-29-2000

Lfones me boy, Way To Go. Try them suckers and decide for yourself.I have been opening a bottle of each of the 82 first growths every-other year since 1990. Cannot tell you how much fun this is and how informative and educational these tastings are. As of our last tasting last Feb., I can assure you non of my 1st`s are over the hill.There are 2 ( Haut Brion and Margaux that I personally think will be very accessable in a couple.The Moutons` are a monumental wine. Have Fun Winoweenie