WineBoard
Tobin James, Bien Nacido, Chardonnay - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Chardonnay/White Burgundy/Pinot Blanc/Melon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Tobin James, Bien Nacido, Chardonnay (/thread-5695.html)

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2002

2000 Tobin James, Bien Nacido Vineyards, Chardonnay, Santa Barbara County ($25). This also came with the spring shipment so; a. That's how we ended up with it, and B. we actually only spent about $11 for it. We quaffed it this afternoon after returning from a lobster picnic with a church group at a no-alcohol state park on the ocean. It was not as bad as it sounds, especially as a quaffer. It was fermented in 100% new French oak barrels, and aged sur lie in "perfect French oak." What saved it from just being a oak bomb were the grapes from a distinguished vineyard. They were powerful enough to almost compensate for the oak. It was very nice, but did leave that quivering wood feel on the lips. Can't imagine what food it would go with; even a butter drenched roast chicken would be questionable. My recommendation for folks who end up with these wines either accidentally or from friends or clubs, is to quaff it. Forget about matching with food.

- Innkeeper - 05-16-2003

An interesting observation; in the last year there have been only 30 posts on chardonnay. The strange part is that five of them are mine! Three were on unwooded ones, and this is one of the other two.

Another hint from A.I. in "Great Tastes..." is to have buttered pop corn with your over oaked chardonnay that you somehow ended up with.

The lastest accident is 2001 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Monterey, Chardonnay ($25 list, much less with club shipment). It was a quintessentially lousy California chard. We got around it by matching it with our Haddock Saute a la Creme, and deglasing the pan with a fourth cup of it; and with a bit of a cold could only tell it so bad with my quivering lower lip.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-17-2003).]

- Thomas - 05-17-2003

IK, it is interesting how Chardonnay seems ignored here.

For the past dozen years I have noticed that the truly adventuresome wine drinkers prefer many other whites over Chardonnay: SB, Ries., Gewurz., Gruner, et al; all usually more interesting, to be sure.

Makes me feel good that I am not alone...

- quijote - 05-17-2003

It's interesting that you say this, Foodie. Chardonnay seems to be the most-served white at parties, restaurants, etc., yet so far I have had maybe one or two that I've really liked (as opposed to finding them merely drinkable; and the ones I've liked were more for aroma than for taste!).

I've been having a ball with SBs, though, as well as Riesling, Albarino, Chenin Blanc, and some others. I'm still hoping to find a kind of Chard that I really like. (Well, I like Champagne, so I guess that counts.) I bought a Macon-Villages a while back, hoping that the unoaked or slightly oaked style does something for me.