WineBoard
Is there such a thing as a good Chardonnay? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Chardonnay/White Burgundy/Pinot Blanc/Melon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Is there such a thing as a good Chardonnay? (/thread-5688.html)

- Vivian - 08-08-2002

As a total novice trying to plan a wine tasting, for the prupose of learning the basics, I asked a wine-snob (and I say that lovingly) friend of mine to recommend several different vintages for the party. He made great suggestions for Pinot Noir, Cabernet, even Gewurzteminer (sp?), but when I asked about Chardonnay, he said he's never had a good Chardonnay. Perhaps it's just his taste, but I'm looking for other opinions. Everywhere I go, stores and restaurants seem to have tons of Chardonnay. If it's so bad, why is there so much of it?

I'd also appreciate recommendations on appetizer pairings for a Chardonnay for this wine tasting I am planning.

Thank you, and Winoweenie please be gentle! I've been reading your posts! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 08-08-2002

First, welcome to the board. Come back often. Hopefully, I won't be the only one to respond. Of course there are good Chardonnays. Most of the members of this forum feel that most California vintners go too far with new oak barrels for fermentation and aging of Chardonnay (rather than using stainless steel vats for fermentation and older wooden barrels which don't impart so much wood flavor). Red wines seem to benefit more from aging in wooden barrels, while white wines can be overpowered by an oaky aroma/taste--liking chewing on a toothpick. Some French chardonnays are not put into oak barrels--most of the wines from the Macon region for instance, or Chablis wines (Chablis is recognized as a distinct district with white wines from the Chardonnay grape). Some chardonnays from Australia and New Zealand are "unoaked." Kim Crawford produces an unoaked Chardonnay. And I happen to be fond of white burgundies which do see some oak aging but have the structure and fruit to integrate with it (a village Mersault or Puligny-Montrachet for example).
On the other hand, many Americans have become accustomed to the oaky flavor of California chardonnays and gravitate toward
Kendall-Jackson, Chalone and other brands.
That's why restaurants carry them even though they are not particularly food-friendly wines. With appetizers you might consider a crabmeat dip or large mushroom caps stuffed with a crabmeat mix--something along those lines. Buttery chardonnays are said to be a good match for lobster tail with butter-lemon dipping sauce but I don't know that you'll want to be serving lobster appetizers.
Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-08-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 08-08-2002

WOW pretty much said it all. One small correction, the unoaked chardonnays from Down Under are usually called "Unwooded."

- Botafogo - 08-08-2002

Yes, they are called Blanc de Blancs Champagnes! Try any good grower fizz you can find from the villages of Cramant, Avize or Oger, preferably with some good smoked fish or a dozen raw oysters....

Re Kendall Jackson: the TEXTURE of that wine comes from oak chips in the fermenters but the actual predominant FLAVOR is from the 5-10% unfermented Muscat they add to it. If all the people who like that would be honest with themselves and quit trying to say they like "dry" "Chardonnay" and admit they like fruity, aromatic, slightly sweet wines then Frascati, Alsatian Pinot Gris and Spanish Muskats would be the biggest wines in the country.

Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 08-08-2002

Except for at least Kim Crawford, IK. His label says Unoaked Chardonnay, but maybe that's just the label that gets put on for U.S. export.

- Thomas - 08-08-2002

Vivian, you instigated a good thread.

Re, what Roberto says. In the wine classes I give I challenge students to identify the taste of Chardonnay. The problem is: most do not really know the taste of Chardonnay because of the oak chips, muscat, sugar and such permeating the KJ and wannabe KJ wines.

But it isn't right for anyone to make a blanket statement that all Chardonnay or all of anything is no good, unless of course that someone had the wonderful opportunity to have tasted ALL of them.

- Vivian - 08-08-2002

And I was worried that I wouldn't get any replies! Thank you all for the great information. I am encouraged and would definitely like to include a Chardonnay at our wine tasting. 2 people mentioned Kim Crawford, which I'm not familiar with (region?) Can you tell me if it is readily available, a good year to look for and what price range I can expect? Our guests are asking what kind of wine they can bring, but I don't want to ask them to pick up a bottle of 1999 Kim Crawford and find out it was an $80 bottle!

PS. This is an awesome site! I'm so glad I found it!

- winoweenie - 08-08-2002

Hi Vivian and welcome to the kindlest, gentlest, most knowledgable wine board on the internet. As far as my being gentle, my middle name is Ben. However, as you stated you've read my posts, can you direct me to the last one posted in the Chardonnay thread? I make it a point of not posting on any subject which (a) doesn't interest me, (b) I don't have any knowledge to impart or (c)isn't a color of juice that's not red. I have had in my experience some wonderful Chards, namely the 65 Stony Hill, the 66 & 68 Hanzells, and the 74 Ch Montelena. They became so few and far between howm-so-ebberly that I've left them to the WSs' to extoll over. I believe the whole wine experience is a personal one that needs to be defined by the individual. If you like Chards, Wooded, Un-wooded, sweet, sour, or pink, drink them puppies and enjoy. As wine is a beverage of companionship and coviviality every bottle can make a new friend.Have fun. WBW

- joeyz6 - 08-08-2002

Hi Vivian. Regarding the best vintages, the West Coast has been good for Chard since 1994 (especially 94-97 and 99). From what I've read and tasted, 2000 has proven to be pretty good too. One you might try that is very affordable and I thought was excellent is the 2000 Columbia Crest Grand Estates, from Washington, which should run you about $10-12.
White wine from Burgundy, which is almost always made of Chardonnay and has less Oak flavor, has been solid since 1994. You might try something from Macon or Chablis, as WOW already mentioned.
Kim Crawford is a New Zealand wine. I think it's fairly easy to find (try wine-searcher.com), and it's not expensive (under $20). Another unwooded New World Chard is Goundrey, from Australia, which is probably more readily available and maybe a bit cheaper.