WineBoard
Tonight - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Tonight (/thread-555.html)

- mrdutton - 02-18-2002

Dinner tonight was "simple"........

Marinated Prime Hanger Steak (interesting cut of meat) pan seared to medium rare.

Pommes Frites with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Baby Green Peas with butter sauce.

Red wine and butter reduction with onion and garlic compote, made with Tobin James Cabernet Sauvignon (I drank the rest of the bottle for lunch).

1998 Pedroncelli Dry Creek Valley Cabernet Sauvignon with the meal.

Yummmmmm......

Interesting cut of meat. You don't want to know what it does when it is alive and called muscle; but it sure does taste good after it has been slaughtered and cooked.

No wonder it is called the butcher's tenderloin, only one cut in the steer and the butcher usually gets to take it home as compensation for the chop.

- Botafogo - 02-18-2002

In the spirit of last week's debate between Senator Byrd and the Treasury Secretary over who was poorer as a child.....

My dinner tonight was even simpler: I visited Uncle Darrow's Cajun in Venice (California), got a Catfish Po'boy (dressed 'natch), a side of Jambalaya and a side of fried shrimp. All perfectly matched and my palate cleansed by an endless cup of Fountain Coke ('02 vintage) with a racy splash of 10% lemonade to add bracing acidity and balance the faint residual sugar.... Yet more proof that New French Oak is not needed at the table.

Yeah you right, hunh bro??? Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 02-18-2002).]

- mrdutton - 02-18-2002

Shuudda included Jimmy Carter. Have yu red his bio? He says he ate more possum den any udder person in da whole wide world, he does, right der in his book. He says dat, really, he duz.

U bet.......

Dressed catfish po boy, baby fresh water lobsters (suck dem hed'z) and some deep fried baby prawns all washed down by a lemon coke.....

U sure u din't have a moon pie and a royal crown cola fo da finish?

Now dat's gormet eat'n if I ev'r seez it!!!

Tell ya waht ---- grits, deep fryd catfish, two eyes up and tobassco sauce be the brefast I likes! Try dat one on fur syze, derz a meal!!

Been there, done that and luv it!

(Been watching too many olympic dancers on the ice.........dey got the hormoans rooring.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-18-2002).]

- winedope - 02-18-2002

how can a tunafish sandwich and a glass of water hope to compete ?...

- Botafogo - 02-19-2002

No Moon Pie, intead Homemade Peach Cobbler with a nice crunchy brown sugar crust and vanilla ice cream.....I have now achieved enlightenment and entered Nirvana, this will be my last post!

Bohdisatva Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 02-18-2002).]

- winoweenie - 02-19-2002

Sounds to me that a nice lil' Central Coast Syrah was thwarted from its' perfect match!!! WW

- Thomas - 02-19-2002

or a mint julip

- mrdutton - 02-19-2002

Now on a more serious note...... According to this really neat database I found while surfing around the web, the hanger steak (aka hanging tender, butchers steak, butchers tenderloin or onglet) is the part of the diaphragm that hangs between the last rib and the loin. Either taken home by the butcher as a boon for his work or ground into hamburger, but some folks say it is a tastey bit of meat if marinated and cooked rare. It has a grainy texture and is a very flavorful cut of meat. Better known in France than in the US, if you want one you'll have to special order it.

The database I found at www.foodsubs.com is called The Cooks Thesaurus.

According to James Rodwell at Gourmet, its function is to push the secretions out of the pancreas gland. (Fortunately it does not taste like those secretions.)

According to Julia Child (see THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING, Vol. 1), the hanger steak is the same as the French cut of beef onglet. It consists of two small muscles joined by an elastic membrane that supports the animals diaphragm.

Larousse Gastronomic goes on to say, "The butcher splits it open, trims it and removes all the skin and membrane. Onglet must be well hung; the meat is then tender and juicy.

It is very well marbled with fat, grill-pans to rare in about 6 minutes total cooking time. Quite tastey. Mine came from the butcher sans silver skin and membrane and was, therefore in two pieces.

I got the meat from Loebels in NYC.

- Thomas - 02-19-2002

Hey Dutton, you want interesting meats and cuts, look into Ottomanelli's on Bleecker Street in NYC. I believe they have a Web site. Last week I got wonderful veal sweetbreads from them. I marinated them in milk overnight, and then pressed them for a while; peppered and gave a light flour dusting; sauteed in olive oil each side until golden and removed from flame; in the same pan, with a little more olive oil, sauteed garlic, leeks and shallots for two minutes; deglazed with Port, cooked down a few minutes, added some chicken stock and simmered for a few minutes, adding a little flour for thickening; put the sweetbreads back in, covered and kept warm for a few minutes while awaiting my paprika potatoes.

Had it with a 1999 Dom des Souchons Morgon--soooopoib!

- winoweenie - 02-19-2002

YUMMMMMAREEENNNOOOOOO!!!!WW