WineBoard
Chardonnay everywhere! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=200)
+--- Forum: Chardonnay/White Burgundy/Pinot Blanc/Melon (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Chardonnay everywhere! (/showthread.php?tid=5528)

Pages: 1 2

- robr - 01-10-2006 07:10 PM

Why is it that there is so much Chardonnay and it is nearly always good? I have had cheap, moderate, and expensive chards, and they were all good, drinkable wines.

Is it just the easiest grape to grow and make into wine?

- winoweenie - 01-11-2006 08:53 AM

Just the most popular , earliest ripening, and fastest cash cow in the mix. WW

- Glass_A_Day - 01-11-2006 09:31 AM

I know what your saying Bern. If I try 10 Cabs and 10 Chards in any price range I usually find more winners in the chard column. I just use cab as an example, but this seems to apply to many veriatels. I think WW is correct in saying that Chard is an easy grape to deal with and takes a lot less work to turn into a decent quaffer.

- robr - 01-13-2006 02:09 PM

Thanks for the responses, but I'm still curious. It seems that there is so much good chardonnay that there must be a reason for it. Is there anyone on this board who has ever actually made this wine?

- lucy_presley - 01-13-2006 02:51 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I've never had a Chardonnay that I did like.

- robr - 01-13-2006 04:22 PM

Thanks Lucy, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I'm curious, what is it that you do not like about chardonnay?

- lucy_presley - 01-13-2006 04:41 PM

I very rarely like tart flavors, but really dislike them combined with even a hint of sweetness. Key lime pie, lemon pie, lemon squares are among my least favorite foods. Even strawberry desserts are pushing it a little.

Chardonnay is usually tart, annoying enough to my palate, but it often has enough sweetness to really make it unpleasant for me. Add oak to that, and it's just hell on earth.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-13-2006 04:44 PM

You're not spending enough Lucy... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- lucy_presley - 01-13-2006 04:48 PM

When I hit $40 and still couldn't find one that didn't taste to me like jet fuel, I quit bothering.

- robr - 01-13-2006 04:50 PM

I agree. The cheaper ones are usually tart. Try Blackstone, Rodney Strong, almost anything from Sonoma but over $10. I even like the tart ones, but the better ones are not -- they are more nutty and buttery than anything else