WineBoard
Recommendation for smoked baby-back ribs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Recommendation for smoked baby-back ribs (/thread-522.html)

- hotwine - 02-03-2001

I've only done these once in the last few years, since we normally eat BEEF. But this is what she wants tonight, so I'm scratchin' for wine pairings. Leaning toward a Zin or Rhone, since the ribs will be basted with a tomato sauce. What are your thoughts, folks?

- Innkeeper - 02-03-2001

Would go with medium powered zin. Ravenswood Vinters Blend, Cline Plain Ole, or something of that ilk.

- Drew - 02-03-2001

I agree with IK, a nice Zin with good acidic backbone. I think Buckos "Buy by the case, you heard it here first" 1999 Cline is a good choice.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 02-03-2001).]

- hotwine - 02-03-2001

Cline, I've got. Sounds good. Thanks, guys.

- hotwine - 02-03-2001

The Cline Zin worked fine, but she said after dinner that she didn't like the nose. She couldn't explain what she didn't like, other than it being "too strong". She liked the taste just fine. Trying to fathom her remarks, maybe a Primitivo might have worked better for her. Anyway, I was fine with the Zin. The Cline is a nice one, as we've discussed before.

The baby-backs turned out great! My only other experience with 'em in the not-too-distant past was in cooking for a young lady's wedding reception a while back. I'm not a caterer by trade, but occasionally barbeque for charitable events, and the young lady's parents had sampled my 'Q at those and prevailed upon me to cook for their daughter's big day. She asked for baby-backs, beef brisket and chicken for about 100 people. Because I don't normally cook pork, I had to research a recipe, and wound up using one off the 'Net attributed to Tony Roma's "A Place for Ribs". The wedding crowd loved it, so I had filed it away for future reference, and that's what I dredged up tonight. I had shied away from alcohol while cooking for the reception since I was working alone in 102 degree heat; so there were no pairing/tasting notes to fall back on from that earlier event. Now there'll be some pairing notes in the database.

Thanks for the recommendations, IK & Drew. I think it was a good match, in spite of her quirky nose.

- Bucko - 02-03-2001

Try a Petite Sirah, e.g. Parducci, next time. Goes great with ribs. So does Shiraz.

BuckSmoker

- Drew - 02-04-2001

Personally I think it's tough to match wines with tomato based BBQ because so much is going on with the tomato acid, sugar-molasses with earth/wood flavors imparted to various degrees by the charcoal/wood. I tend to lean more towards dry rub BBQ recipes and seem to have better luck with wine pairings.

Drew

- hotwine - 02-04-2001

Thanks, Bucksmoker, I'll try the Syrah/Shiraz next time. Drew, I'm also an advocate of dry rubs for BBQ; have one that I use for just about everything. But it's tough to beat this sauce for the ribs. The only problem is it's like Superglue on your fingers - whatever you touch follows you around for a while!

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2001

GIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!RECIPE, RECIPE, RECIPE!!!!!

- mrdutton - 02-04-2001

When I started reading this thread two things came to mind: Zinfandel and Syrah.

But all of that has been covered. So, how about the recipe. Then I can do the ribs and try them with some Zin and some Syrah.

- hotwine - 02-04-2001

OKOKOK. I thought everybody had recipes for smoked pork ribs (except me). I'll dig it back out & post it here later today.

- hotwine - 02-04-2001

Here's the recipe for baby back ribs:

Combine and heat over high heat until boiling:

1 cup ketchup
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic poowder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Reduce heat, simmer 30-40 minutes until thick.

Coat 4 pounds of baby back ribs, front and back, with the BBQ sauce.

Wrap ribs in aluminum foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Remove ribs from foil and smother with more sauce.
Grill on hot BBQ grill for 2-4 minutes per side.

I started an oak fire two hours before putting the ribs into the pit, and added an oak log every half hour, so the pit was holding a stable temperature of 300 degrees. Continued to do that throughout, adding the last log at the two-hour point, so when I inserted the firebox grill it was over very hot coals. Removed the ribs from the foil, brushed the sauce liberally on both sides, and placed them on the grill, cooking for two minutes per side or until some of the rib-tips started turning black.
Removed 'em quickly then & served 'em up with baked spuds & fresh spinach salad (sprinkled with olive oil, Kraft Three-Cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago), & Athenos Crumbled Feta Cheese). Purr-fecto!

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 02-04-2001).]

- hotwine - 02-04-2001

For the second rack of ribs, which we enjoyed tonight as leftovers, I chose a 1999 Domaine d'Andezon Cotes du Rhone (Vieille Vignes, Non-filtre). Dark and brooding in the glass, with a nose of black cherries, opening to a soft rush of fruit on the palate, and fading with a very pleasing finish. Sister-in-law's Christmas gift of Riedel Sommelier Burgundy glasses made a dfference with this wine, allowing the nose to develop and capturing the earthy unfiltered undertones of the old vines. Purchased a month ago and laid down without sampling at the ridiculous price of $7.99. This one passed her test, and I agree that it was very nice indeed; an excellent pairing with the ribs.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 02-04-2001).]

- winoweenie - 02-05-2001

Man-O-Manoshevitch! Leave you guys alone for a few and all goes to pot. Have looked at ALL the reccommendations and can`t find the one perfect choice for Baby-Backs.....Chateau El Budweiser. I know this be the wine board but as they say out west, Beer, What Winemakers drink whilst making wine. WW

- hotwine - 02-05-2001

Think I'll pass on l'Eau de Toilette, WW. Now Domaine de Dos Equis - that's different!

- winoweenie - 02-05-2001

All I wanted to get across in my snide (cute) way was that "Q" demands beer!WW Out in the desert we like Tecate and a squeeze of lime. Pagans all.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 02-05-2001).]

- barnesy - 02-05-2001

As my German friend says....You drink German beer, piss it into a bottle and thats how you get American Beer. At least that nappy yellow stuff like bud. *gag* Give me a nice Newcastle Brown or a Negra Moldela. In honor of the WW, I will, when talking about beer, from now on refer to these beers as SY...or sissy yellows. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

I do agree, nothing like bbq and a nice brewdog.

Barnesy

- hotwine - 02-05-2001

Beer is always a good stand-by. But it's fun and challenging to pair Q with a wine. I usually don't have any trouble doing that, but pork with a tomato-based sauce is outside my usual repertoire. It's a whole lot easier to stick with BEEF!

- hotwine - 02-05-2001

Your German friend is about right, Barnesy. When I lived in Vaihingen years ago, outside Stuttgart, I had a standing order for a case of Schwaben Brau to be delivered by the brewery to my apartment each week. Wonderful stuff! I sure do miss it today! Dos Equis Amber is as close as I've found on this side of the pond to an authentic German beer. And it is made in Mexico by a brewery that was founded by a German immigrant. It's our household staple to accompany Mexican food.