WineBoard
2001 Simi Alex Valley - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Simi Alex Valley (/thread-5111.html)

- winoweenie - 03-16-2004

My pick as the new Pine Ridge 99 replacement. Delightful juice with lush fruit, balanced acid,oak,and with enough structure to hang around for 5-10. 90/ 94 at under 20 by the box. WW ( fotgot to post earlier)

- wondersofwine - 03-16-2004

Great to hear! I really liked the 2001 Simi Alexander Reserve at last year's barrel tasting and have since purchased a couple bottles of the regular. Will maybe try one soon and store the other to let it mature.
I am going to the Macarthur's California Barrel Tasting again this year on March 27th. Will report back later.

- newsguy - 03-16-2004

WW,

i tried a bottle of this a few weeks ago, and had a very tough time judging its potential. my palate obviously is not as experienced as yours, but i didn't get the "lush fruit" you speak of and was put off by the considerable wall of tannins (even after decanting 90-minutes plus). can you maybe elaborate on your evaluation of this wine for me? thanks.

- winoweenie - 03-16-2004

nEwsie the fruit from Sonoma and Napa are extremely different creatures. Alex Valley is another animal. Napa for the most part has lots of up-front fruit that is the dominate factor when young. Sonoma Cabs are more restrained and rely on age to show their potential. Alex Valley kicks it up another notch and has the fruit below the line instead of up-front and the tannins and acids overshadow it and normally when aged comes on with a rush at the end. The one big atypical Alex bottling is Tom Jordans' wines. Decant for 24 hours and I think you'll see the potential of this kick-patootie bottle.
Think putting this sucker down for 5 will really pay off. WW

- newsguy - 03-16-2004

WW,

thanks for the lesson. that makes sense to me. i will pick up another bottle of this next week and decant for 24.

(and by your explanation, gallo's barrelli creek must be a very pleasant abberation for an alexander cab, in that its fruit is huge even upon release and while competing with those big tannins and bracing acidity. just wondering if i should pass on the 00 barrelli creek at $25 per and wait on the 01.)

- hotwine - 03-16-2004

Shucks, I've got the '00 Simi Alex but not the '01. Will have to look for it.

- winoweenie - 03-17-2004

Newsie, I bought 4 bottles of the 00 from all three vineyards to get the box price. Haven't purchased too many of the 00s' from anyone. I'll load up on the 01s. WW

- hotwine - 03-19-2004

Found the '01 at Costco this AM for $14.85 per.

- MontereyRick - 03-22-2004

My local Costco has it for $15.99/bottle and I think it's a very good deal. I bought a case and feel this is drinking well now. It may benefit from short term cellaring (1-2 years) but I don't feel this bottling has the stuffing to cellar a lot longer. It may last 5 years but I don't think it will improve that long.

Buy it and drink it. After all, that's what it's for.

- hotwine - 03-22-2004

Tried it last night with NY strips, baked spuds & broccoli. OK, but lacking stuffing somehow, a Cab without distinction..... not much fruit, no dirt, just a ho-hum. Will let 'em rest a while and try another.

- winoweenie - 11-20-2006

Opened another for lunch today. As suspected this sucker has been in the weight room. Nose developing beautifully with berries...black, blue and huckle with some cherry nuances. All hit the palate with some plums thrown in for good measure and a nice spicy undercurrant. Some tannins that will still take another 2-4. IMHO this will become a superior bottling from this venerable producer. Balanced and bootiful. WW. No change in scoring. WW