WineBoard
2000 Crow Canyon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Crow Canyon (/thread-5011.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 08-06-2002

2000 Crow Canyon Vinyards, San Luis Obispo County, Cabernet Sauvignon ($8 Wine Expo). Another excellent bottom feed from our friend on Santa Monica Blvd. Amazing varietal character on nose, tongue tip, palate, and finish for such an inexpensive wine. Mentioned to Mother that we've found a great hamburger wine, and she replied that we've found a great steak wine. The burgers were good too.

Tried to "Google" more info on this outfit, with no results. On the back label is says: "Vinted & bottled by Crow Caynon Vineyards, San Martin, California."

If Roberto still has some, get a case. If not get on his e-mail alert list for future deals of this sort.

- Botafogo - 08-06-2002

IK, that stuff was $4.99!!! OK, with shipping that is $8 to you but putting it that way does not due justice to the incredible deal we made on that....

Just back from Rio, tired but happy, Roberto

- winoweenie - 08-06-2002

Sorry I dint' get up to Expo ole' pal but somewhere you'll find my post on the nasty truck encounter. See you next week when I pick up CBs' Jeep. WW

- Thomas - 08-06-2002

IK, "vinted and bottled by" means they bought the wine and put it in the bottle--no winemaker in that company except the one who oversees the blending. They may, in fact, be just a clearing house for wine.

- Innkeeper - 08-06-2002

The grapes did have the SLOC appellation so they and/or the wine came from nearby. Sorry about the screw up on the price. Forgot what a super duper deal it was.

- Thomas - 08-07-2002

SLOC? I have a lapse; what is the appellation?

It is likely the outfit just buys up volumes of wine and then has a winery do the work. You can get a license in the US to do just that. You needn't have to touch neither grape nor wine. Another one of those useless US designations is "Cellared By". Meaningless notation that ensures the outfit might have a warehouse somewhere, but likely never even sees the wine.

"Estate Bottled" and "Produced and Bottled By" are the only US notations that mean the producer whose name is on the label actually made and bottled the wine (in the former case, the producer also grew the grapes). The rest of the designations are allowed as marketing terms to tell a half-truth--kind of like "Extra Dry Champagne" which is nothing of the sort.

- Innkeeper - 08-07-2002

Gee, I thought if a wine carried an appellation like San Luis Obispo County vice California, that the grapes or at 75% of them had to be from there.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-07-2002).]

- Thomas - 08-07-2002

Aha! San Luis Obispo County did not readily come to my feeble mind when I saw SLOC.

Yes, the appellation means what you say (although I think it might be more than 75%), but I am not talking about where the grapes grow, rather who made the wine. You said you could find nothing online about the producer on the label. Recap--if it doesn't say Estate Grown on the label, then the producer did not grow the grapes. If it says Produced and Bottled By, then the producer may or may not have grown the grapes, but did make the wine. If it says Vinted or Cellared By, then the producer did little more than sign a contract with someone to make the wine, and then get it to him--in or out of the btotle, mostly in. The reason you cannot find a nything about the producer is likely that the producer is only a shell name for a person or group with a contract to market the wines that somone else produced and bottled. That someone else is normally a big volume production facility where a lot of surplus goes to this kind of bottling.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-07-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 08-07-2002

$4.99 and very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really don't want to get into a pissing contest on this.

- Thomas - 08-08-2002

Me neither. I thought I was explaining why you likely could not find the producer on your Internet search; never said a word about the wine--don't know it, can't comment on it, didn't.

- Innkeeper - 08-08-2002

Had another one tonight. This time with fillet steak, bacon rasher, OO, and Morton Rub; and salad. Wonderful. As good as any cab we've had up to $15! Yes, that includes Columbia Crest Grand Estate!!!

- Botafogo - 08-08-2002

Glad you dig that stuff IK and, by the way, I did the math wrong:

$4.99 + $2.00 shipping and NO Sales Tax = $6.99 to you, SCORE!

Your Zin will leave on Monday, thanks

- Innkeeper - 08-23-2002

According to the Hot News from Wine Expo, they still have 100 cases left. So, get with it folks, eat crow and drink beef; 'er that's drink Crow and eat beef. I'm outa here.

- Innkeeper - 09-02-2002

Well last night it was grilled burger, corn on the cob, and salad for ten. The three wine drinkers destroyed two bottles of Crow Canyon. Very, very nice.

- Bucko - 09-02-2002

Ahhh, quit crowing...... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 10-23-2002

My nominee for "Burger Wine of the Year."

- Drew - 11-06-2002

Found it now locally for $6.49. Will post notes soon.

Drew

- Drew - 11-11-2002

Opened this tonight after purchasing a case for $5.50 per bottle including tax. A delicious well made cab. Well balanced and seamless with fine sweet tannins and a nice linguring finish, medium bodied and 12.5%Alc/vol. Eileen worked late tonight and I saved a glass for her and following her first sip I was ordered to purchase a case. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] I didn't tell her I already had. This wine is everything that IK sezs it is and a bag of chips.

Drew

- ShortWiner - 11-21-2002

Found the '99 yesterday for $7 or $8, haven't tried it yet. Any opinions?

- Innkeeper - 11-22-2002

Didn't know they existed in '99. Thought it was just a label created in '00 by one of the bigees with holdings in SLO to get rid of their surplus. The '00 is drinking just fine, so the '99 shouldn't be over the hill yet. Try it, and let us know.