WineBoard
1978 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1978 Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche (/thread-4873.html)

- RAD - 06-17-2000

My first post here, I'm afraid, is rather lengthy; but I'm looking for some help, and hence attempting to provide accurate information. I'll happily invite helpful respondents over to try other bottles! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

I'm a budding enophile who has been trying a lot of different wines, and I've found many that I like. In addition to patronizing local shops here in NYC, I've spent a good deal of time purchasing wines on winebid.com. (I'm aware that a wine's provenance might not live up to the generic "optimum storage conditions, 55 degrees F and 70% humidity" that almost all postings on winebid.com promise).

My issue, then: I recently purchased (among other things) 4 bottles of the vintage mentioned in the title, for $35 each. This purchase was not simply a shot in the dark; there was some rationale. To wit: first, I knew that (generally speaking) 1978 was a good year in CA. (I also knew that many wines from this vintage were "past their prime.") Second, I'd visited the winery with my wife and had sampled (and purchased) the 1995 Cabernet Bosche. Third, I knew that that wine was their flagship product. That being said, I had wanted to try some older wines; I found an older one with a decent reputation; it was affordable; so I took a leap.

My wife fixed a great steak dinner one night. Eager in anticipation, I brought out the Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux glasses for the occasion (okay, truth be told, I drink all my wine from these--they were a gift) and carefully uncorked the bottle. Poured a bit, gave it a healthy swirl, brought it to my nose--wait, what is this?--a bit more cautiously gave it a good taste, and could only describe it as "funky." Not oxidized as I understand it (i.e., having a vinegary component). But VERY funky. After trying one taste, my wife couldn't drink it.

Fast forward three weeks later--three bottles of same vintage remaining. Wife cooks up another great meal, so I decide to try the same vintage again. Only this time, for comparison (realizing it is somewhat apples-to-oranges, but hopefully closer than that), I also break out a 1980 Caymus cab that I'd also purchased on winebid.com. Could it be that I just didn't have a taste for older wines?

Same drill, only twice this time, one for each wine: pour, swirl, inhale, slurp! The Freemark Abbey tasted exactly like it did the last time; the Caymus, however, was great.

I emailed a well-respected friend in the wine business, and she told me that older wines often have "maderized" qualities, becoming sherry- or Madiera-like. I'm not a big sherry drinker, but the more I think of it, it seems like this could be the case.

If any of you have been thoughtful enough to read this far, I welcome your comments.

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 06-17-2000).]

- Thomas - 06-17-2000

First, a wine that is "madeirized" is oxydized. When a wine turns toward becoming vinegar it has gone beyond mere oxidation and into bacterial territory.

Second, it is likely the bottles you bought had not been stored properly.

Third, when my shop opens on East 5th Street this fall, please come see us (Is-Wine is its name). We intend to show people how wine can be enjoyed at reasonable prices and without mystery.

- winecollector - 06-17-2000

I'm interested in knowing how the Freemark Abbey Cab looked while still in the bottle and in the glass if you hold it up to the light. A slightly brownish tint would indicate oxidation. To clarify, just because a wine is "oxidized," does't mean that it has turned to vinegar, as Foodie also mentioned. Some oxidized wines I've had in the past were still somewhat drinkable, though not necessarily enjoyable.

Also too, I agree with Foodie that this wine has probably seen some heat in it's lifetime.

By the way, welcome to the wine board. Just a suggestion- you might want to be careful about inviting us over for wine. With over 2000 members, we can get real thirsty!

- RAD - 06-17-2000

Thanks for both of your replies, and for clarification on the oxidization issue--I'd thought that an oxidized wine was tantamount to vinegar, or at least a hint of it.

As to the color of the wine (I had paid attention to this as well; I'd just forgotten to post it). It was a ruby color, with the brownish titnt that foodie mentioned, that faded to a hint of orange around the edges. I'd thought that this was somewhat normal for a wine of this age. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 06-17-2000).]

- winoweenie - 06-17-2000

Rad I too welcome you to the board. I had lots of experience with the Bosche all quite pleasant until the mid-90s`.As I`ve posted on several threads, even tho the 78s` were great at one time very few have made it this far. The only 78s` IMHO that are still great are the 3 Diamond Creeks, Heitz Marthas, and Ch.Montelena.I have had 3 of these in the last few months and they were still ginning.The price you mention of 35 bucks is the tell-tale give-away.Back in the early 90s` the wine was double this. Think someone unloaded an oldie, but not goodie, on you. Winoweenie

- RAD - 06-17-2000

Thanks winoweenie--I suppose I'll chalk it up to lessons learned.

Down, but not out--and still experimenting!

RAD

- winoweenie - 06-18-2000

Rad, I`LL DRINK TO THAT!!!!( course i drink to gas station openings ) Winoweenie