WineBoard
1996 Mondavi Reserve - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1996 Mondavi Reserve (/thread-4690.html)

- winoweenie - 05-28-2004

After enjoying the 94 version tremendously decided to open the next one up and visually compare whist still kinda fresh in memory (2nd thing to go). Deep ruby, no browning. Loads of both red and black fruits, cassis, sweet cinnamon, and pencil shavings with some earthy notes hit the nose. All carry over on the palate plus a dash of bakers cocoa. Smooth entry, weighty mid-palate, and a solid 4&1/2 lapper finish. Still needs another 1-3 to resolve some lurking tannins.An extremely balanced lovely effort. 92/90 79 by the box.13.5%alc WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-28-2004

Gotta watch out for those lurking tannins.

- winoweenie - 08-06-2004

One of two opened at the club today with a close friend and customer. This hummer has beefed up in all areas. Stronger aromatics, loads of up front fruits, the tannins that were lurking are now the front-line defense that we hope will be here next October.Potentially a classic wine. Even my bud who drinks infrequentially said " This hound can Hunt ". A fellow Okie. WW

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2004

Sounds like Robert Mondavi still has the touch.

- MegamanXYZ - 08-10-2004

weenie, did you post anything on the '94? I recently tasted an '87 Mondavi Reserve at a friends house which was incredible but I can't seem to find any of this vintage to pick up for myself so I'm looking for other comparible years. Any help is appreciated.

- winoweenie - 08-10-2004

Megs I post on so meeny I can't bemember but if you go back a year on the cab thread I'm sure I've made some kinda' post on this hummer. If you can't find it let me know and I'll look up my cellar notes. WW

- Kcwhippet - 08-10-2004

Regardless, WW, I don't think he/she (no profile so it's impossible to tell) will be able to find the 97 at retail, unless he/she has some serious connections.

- winoweenie - 08-11-2004

The wine is available at retail but at some pretty hefty pricing. Have seen it in the 125-150 range. WW

- wondersofwine - 08-11-2004

If New Jersey is a legal state for shipping, Mega might be able to order from Robert Mondavi Winery--sometimes they have a library of past vintages for sale. However, I just did a search at www.robertmondavi.com and the Cabernets listed were from 1998, 1999 and 2000. 1994 and 1996 or 1997 are probably only available at inflated secondary rates and then you chance storage issues unless it's a retailer with a reliable warehousing system.

- MegamanXYZ - 08-11-2004

I was actually trying to find 1987, not 1997 although I assume given the vintage their '97 is very good. I'll check their library on the mondavi site and I'll also go back and search notes here. Thanks again.

fwiw, 1987 was an unfiltered bottling and seems to be one of the few years they've done this.

- winoweenie - 08-11-2004

Megs the last time I checked 20/20 wine merchants has some 87 Mondave Res at around 150-175. If your state allows out-of-state shipments you can contact them at sales@2020wines.com.WW ( FWIW most of the Reserves are unfiltered and unfined. They have made loads of different wines playing with the vinification. )

- MegamanXYZ - 08-12-2004

ok, didn't realize it was that much, looks like I'll skip that one and look for less expensive years. Thanks for the note, I thought I read somewhere that there were only a handful of their reserve vintages that were unfiltered.