WineBoard
Grouper Tacos, Mango Habanero Maranade - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Grouper Tacos, Mango Habanero Maranade (/thread-451.html)

- andrawes76 - 08-23-2009

Okay guys, my lady doesn't eat meat (four legged) or bird. Therefore I am becoming an expert on one million ways to cook fish and make salad. Today I had a grouper marinated in Habanero Mango sauce, cilantro, and hatch chili. I paired this with the Peter Michael Sauvignon Blanc Sonoma l'Apres Midi 07. Apricot and Fig and lower acidity really made this meal shine... Got it on sale for about $35. Usually out of my range for Sauv Blancs, but felt the urge to splurge.

- Thomas - 08-24-2009

WOW! $35 for SB--it has to be goooood--either that or Yquem.

- andrawes76 - 08-24-2009

Funny thing Foodie, I saw D'Yquem Y on a closeout list, 2004 vintage for $20. So many crap wines out there on the market, even the name can't be trusted, and who wants a 5 year old Sauv Blanc? Not me...

- Thomas - 08-24-2009

Yeah, but that's not just any old SB. In fact, the late harvest version has quite a long life.

- wdonovan - 08-25-2009

"even the name can't be trusted, and who wants a 5 year old Sauv Blanc? Not me..."

???? There's sposed to be a <lol> after that, right?

- andrawes76 - 08-25-2009

LOL...of course!

- Kcwhippet - 08-25-2009

I've had SB's that were as old as 11 that were still solid. In my opinion, it all depends mainly on the quality of the producer, the vintage and the storage.

As for the Mango Habanero sauce, I make a batch every year when the crop of nice peppers comes in. I also make some Garlic Habanero sauce. Of course, this is in addition to the horseradish I harvest from my big plot out back, and make into a fairly decent little sauce. My secret is to let the horseradish go through a freeze or two before I dig it up, because this is supposed to make it a bit hotter and more pungent. Since I didn't get to harvest last year (the old hernia bit) it looks like a bumper crop this year. WW, you'll be getting a larger jar this year to make up for none last year.

- winoweenie - 08-25-2009

HOT-DIGGITY-DOG BISQUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ww

- andrawes76 - 08-25-2009

Nothin' like home made sauces and salsa.

- VouvrayHead - 08-25-2009

Kalin Cellars makes a bizarre but tasty SB that they don't even release until it's getting on a decade.

- wdonovan - 08-26-2009

Funny.... the meal in this thread (almost) happened in our gazebo last night. Basa (sp?) breaded with herbs & crushed pignolis then fried in xxvoo, served with an orange / basil / butter sauce (just a light squeezin of orange). I whipped out a basic Prosecco (Zardetto) and the match was impressive. The hint of orange in the sauce seemed to coax a little extra citrus fruitiness out of the wine. And the bubbles cut through the butter just like you'd expect it to. The Zardetto's OK but next case will be Zonin. At about only 10 bucks American you can't beat this juice for the summer. All our Champagne is resting comfortably til the weather cools down.