WineBoard
Heaven - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Heaven (/thread-4507.html)

- RAD - 02-04-2002

Howdy all--

Apologize for playin' hooky of late--first, my cable modem has been out for the past month, and second, Wall St. has been in earnings season. But I digress.

Just finished a FABULOUS dinner and tasting at Tribeca Grill here in Manhattan--it was a battle of the 1994s vs the 1997s. We tried 1994s and 1997s of each of the following: Beringer Private Reserve, Mondavi Reserve, Araujo Eisele, Phelps Insignia, Dunn "Howell Mountain", and Chateau Montelena. Before that were 1999 Chardonnays: Kistler "Les Noisettieres" and Peter Michael "Mon Plaisir." All with an incredible dinner, of course. And before that, hors d'oeuvres and the most incredible viognier I've ever head.

Stars of the evening: the 94 Araujo and Phelps. The 94 and 97 Dunn and Montelena are still infants, far too early to be enjoyed.

A fabulous evening--that's about all I can remember at present! Wish I could do this more often!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD

- jock - 02-04-2002

What was the incredible Viognier?
[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 02-05-2002

Hi Rad and welcome back. I've just returned from a week in Las Vegas during which I worked my patootie off. Instead of making a different posting, I'll just make a post-script to yours. I took over a case of 94 750s' and 3 mags of 94. Took the following wines and broke them down into 4 groups to match the palates of the group I was having for dinner that evening. The 3 mags were Per Sempre, Anderson Conn Valley and Staglin. These were for a group of 10 that had both low and high ranges of knowledge. All 3 wines are showing well. The next evening I had 6 people and had the following as all were enthusiastic,but with limited knowledge of the juice. Livingston Moffitt, Pride, Duckhorn Napa and Mt. Veeder Estate. These wines are also developing nicely and made a favorable impression on this group. The next night was with a little more sophisticated group of 6 and we had the follopwing;Caymus Napa, Mondavi Reserve, Flora Springs Trilogy and Cakebread Napa. All of these wines need a little more time but are bottles that give lots of stuff-n-such and are all 90+ wines. The final nite I had three of my close friends who flew in from Denver for the occassion and we opened the following; Spottswood, Dalle Valle Napa, Phelps Insignia,Chateau Montelena, and Beringer Reserve.These wines are all they've been cracked up to be and are either now, or will be in another 2-4 years classic wines. As I stated last year or sometime, the 94s' vs. the 97s' will not be settled in my mind until the 97s' get another 3-5 years on them. No doubt about it tho, the 94s' make drinkin' fun. WW

- RAD - 02-09-2002

Wow WW,

What a progression of evenings! Would've like to sit in on all of them! I'm actually heading to Vegas with my wife next weekend. She's going for a busines trip, and I thought I'd tag along for things definitely non-business.

I've never been, though she has--any restaurant recommendations?

And Jock, the viognier was a 1999 Failla Jordan. Simply incredible. Heard there that it's mostly a restaurant bottle, but can be found for ~$60 retail.

RAD

- winoweenie - 02-09-2002

Rad think you'd enjoy Napa in the Rio. They have a killer wine bar downstairs that sometimes has the superstars by the glass. As far as my favorite restaurant, I've been going to the same traditional french jernt there for 30 years. It's the place that the Rat-Pack hung out for years. The food is always impeccible, the service flawless and an extremely friendly staff. John is the manager, and Ritchie is the Sommelier and staff mgr. If you have any problem with reservations, talk to either and profess a friendship with moi.It may not get you in but they'll know you are totally lacking in character, taste and trustwortiness. Oh by the way the joint is the Pamplemousse on Sahara just east of Paradise Rd. Have fun. Their Fillets and NY Strips are as good as anywheres, IMHO. WW

- RAD - 02-10-2002

WW,

Many thanks as always. I'm going to call the grapefruit and tell 'em you sent me.

Napa sounds like a great call as well. I'll report back! Hopefully will have something before then to say in this neck of the woods, but work is just keeping me too busy.

At present drinking a 1999 Carmen Reserve, a blend of 60% Carmenère, 40% Cab Sauv from Chile's Maipo Valley. It's a dead ringer for a rich Rhone wannabe. I received it as a gift from a friend (one of these wine-of-the-month things), but WS ranks it an 87 and says it's about $15 retail. I'd give it a 91/91.

RAD

- winoweenie - 02-11-2002

Hokie-Dokie there Radskie. Forgot to post Tellie #. Call 702-733-2066 after 8 est. Ask John for the Sammy Davis Jr. booth if you have a two-some. Specially built-up chaise- like seat so the Sam-Man would be on eye-level with whom-ebber he be with. WW

- RAD - 02-20-2002

Verne,

Many thanks for the recommendation of Pamplemousse. Just got back from a wonderful dinner. I had cream of spinach soup and a NY strip that would stand up to those at Sparks or Smith & Wollensky in NYC; Amanda had escargot and a great duck entree. We washed it down with a '98 Groth cab. We told John that we knew you, and he spoke very highly of you; however, when John told Reggie the same, Reggie vowed not to come near us! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Topped off the night by doubling my money at the blackjack table downstairs. A great evening!

Thanks again WW.

RAD

PS Have you tried Aureole in Vegas? Incredible. The "wine tower" and the "wine angels" that use the block and tackle assembly to scale it and take down the wine is quite a sight. Had a great meal there a couple nights ago, chased with a '97 Ridge Montebello that married perfectly with venison. Yum!

- winoweenie - 02-20-2002

Glad you enjoyed my lil' hide-away in Vegas. I've been to Aureole and it's awesome. Howm-so-ebberly any more I like a place less frenetic that is intimate and where I can take my shoes off. As far as Reggie is concerned, next trip his tip will be cut in half, 2-1/2%. WW