WineBoard
light-bodied red from OZ or CA - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: light-bodied red from OZ or CA (/thread-449.html)

- cabsauvignon - 05-03-2002

There are some Chinese dishes in our menus, which are more suitable with light-bodied wine,I only have light-bodied Gamay and Bourgne Pinot Noir and I would prefer some light-bodied RED from OZ and CA going with them to White.

Could some experts here help me out with the selection?
Much Obliged.

- Innkeeper - 05-03-2002

The wines you have will go fine with your menu as you described it. Since the "place" you are from is a language and not a place, it is difficult to know where your are. Where you are is a major determinate in recommending a wine. For example, if you live in Monterey, CA; there are many light local pinots to recommend. If you live in the Orient, it would be easier to obtain wines from Austalia (Oz) or New Zealand than from the United States.

- cabsauvignon - 05-03-2002

Hallo, Keeper

Thank you so much for your timely reponse, and I have some Wolf Blass President Shriaz and Cab Sauvignon, Knightvally Cab Sauvignon, some Merryvale red, which are not quite full-bodied, and the French wines are not much appreciated by my customers here in China now, that's why I was asking for some advices about light-bodied wine from OZ and CA, which are quite easy to get from China.

Is Ironestone Cab Franc 1997 matching well with Braised Fresh Abalone in Brown Sauce?

Ange
ciao!

- winoweenie - 05-04-2002

Hi CabSav and glad to have you aboard. Some delicious wines are coming out of Calif from the 1999 vintage. Starting from the lower end of the price spectrum are some delicious wines such as Blackstone Merlots, Cline Merlots and Petite Syrahs, Za Zin old vine Zinfandel from Laurel Glen which I had last night with Schecwan (Hot Ginger Shrimp ), Bogle Merlot and Petite Syrah, and moving up the price ladder the Merryvale Napa Cab , Pine Ridge Rutherford Cab, The Joseph Phelps Napa cab, B.V. Rutherford cab, Hess Selection cab plus lots more that are being released. WW

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2002

The Ironstone CF is good juice, but would much rather have it with steak. It is very heavily oaked, and the thought of it with abalone makes my skin crawl. However, to each his or her own. A nice pinot from New Zealand is 2000 Sherwood Estate, Canterbury-Marlborough, Pinot Noir. It weighs in at 12.5% alcohol which is not light bodied. Neither is any wine mentioned here except on your first post. Most light red wine comes from Europe.

Hate to send you to our competitors, but over on www.wineloverspage.com they have a lot of posters from both Australia and New Zealand. There may be some wines we can't get here that would be available to you. This would be particularly true about light reds. This would be the last place they would send them if they had them.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-04-2002).]