WineBoard
Opus One Vertical - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Opus One Vertical (/thread-4487.html)

- KateMaine - 05-25-2004

Hi,

We're having a Vertical tasting of Opus One, 97 to 2000. Comments?

One guy is gifting us with these, all we have to do is gift him with something to put back in his cellar. Any suggestions? The 2000 was a given to him.

- Innkeeper - 05-25-2004

Am sure someone more knowledgable such as WW will chime in, but my guess is that the last three if not all four won't be very open.

KC graciously brought the same flight of Lewelling Napa Cabs ('97 - '00) to Glenora. The '97 was coming around nicely, but the others were wound rather tightly.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-25-2004).]

- newsguy - 05-25-2004

hi kate,

can't offer you advice, but i'd be real curious to see a tasting note from you on the '98 opus one. a bottle was given to me (hmm, i see a gifting pattern here [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]) and having never had it before, would like to know what to expect when i open it in may '05.

thanks!

- winoweenie - 05-25-2004

Hi Kate. IMHO this is infanticide. All of these wines with the excep[tion of the 98 which I've only had once, needs at least another 3-5 years. The 97 I had a year ago was so closed that even after an hour & a half in decanter was still tannic. I just did the same thing on a wine I'm posting on after this. You can replace the wines with any of the great bottlings from the 2001 vintage. Save these suckers at least for another 2 years. Even Mikey wuldn't like it. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- KateMaine - 05-25-2004

Hi again,

I made a bit of a mistake. The years included in the verical are 94 to 2000. In the opinions of all of you, who thus far have never lead me wrong, do you think any of these should be opened yet? I'm getting the feeling that I should exert some of my newbe power and get them to just STOP, STOP!!
Kate

- winoweenie - 05-26-2004

The 94, 95, and 96 are drinking well. Throw in the 98 and should make for a lovely evening. WW

- KateMaine - 06-05-2004

Well, I shared the opinions from here with my friends....and we are still having the vertical. Oh well, it will be interesting. We get together this Monday, I'll let you all know what the results are.

Kate

- newsguy - 06-07-2004

hi kate,

i'll be anxiously awaiting your note on the '98.

- chittychattykathy - 06-07-2004

Decant and breathe...
Look forward to reading your post.

- KateMaine - 06-30-2004

Hi,

Finally made it back here...this time of year is hectic.

Every one at the group was very interested in your opinions, I think they were just as interested in having the wines to see if they agreed with you or not. Most of these folks are in the wine trade one way or another, so I think they are quite well versed in what tastes right or wrong or what is great or what is not so great. I'm going to just list some of their comments on each year.

The 94

I think everyone was quite surprised with this one. It was spicy. tannin..light but firm. Some said, good to drink now, others said was just about ready to get to light. One seamless. One thought should wait 5 more years and maybe it would turn around. Very CA style.

Smell much smoother then the 94. Very French quality. Tastes smoother the 94, more refined, less tannin, very seamless. At peek. Lots of fruit. Can enjoy without food.

Perfect blance. Good now, also hold. Enjoy without food. Feels like chokecherry in mouth.

Color much darker. Tastes of mocha, cherry. Everyone liked this one and didn't think it to young but all agreed it would just improve with some more time. Fruity. Should have with food.

More alcahol smell,Lighter taste,Watery,Compared to the older bottles. But overall very pleasing.

Soft after taste. Very high chokecherry feel in mouth. Everyone thinks this is a great one to buy and save.

Soft taste,high chokecherry feel. Watery like the 98. Drinking pretty nice, very happy to drink even if tight and tannic, but all agree should wait awhile.

My favorite was the 95, was an easy choice for me. The group was fairly evenly split on the top three. Half liked 95...96...98. The other half liked 96...95...98.

All that said. I really just could not see what all the hoopla is about this wine. I know I've had as good or even much better for way less money invested. But, it was a wonderful experience. It was interesting to see all of the corks lined up in a row and see how with each year they just got darker and darker. Interesting to see how very different the wine can be from year to year. I'm very glad I was there.

We also had a mystery wine that turned out to be BV Tapistry 97. Low tannin, high alcohol, could easily age more , juicy. Much lighter the the Opus One.

Kate

- KateMaine - 06-30-2004

I was given this recipe by "Joseph's by the Sea", a very nice summer resturant in Old Orchard Beach that I'd highly recommend if you are ever up this way. It was perfect with this wine and well worth the effort it takes to find all the ingredients.

Wild Mushroom Torte

Recipe for 2 mushroom tortes:
> > Mushroom duxelles
> >1# shiitake mushrooms
> >1 # Portabellos
> >1# Porcini
> >1# Parisienne (common mush)
> >1 large onion finely chopped
> >
> >2 oz. butter, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 oz brandy, 1 oz red sweet vermouth, 1 cup
> >parsley finely chopped, salt and white pepper, 1/2 oz truffle oil
> >
> >Method: Brown onion in heavy saucepan with butter, deglaze with
liquor,add
> >finely diced mushrooms and simmer for 30 minutes. Add truffle oil, lemon
> >juice and salt and pepper to taste.
> >
> >Make 16 crepes. 8 crepes per torte....
> >Spread thin layer of duxelle between crepes, wrap and refrigerate. Let
> >chill then cut into 8 portions.
> >Sauce: demi glace & red vermouth reduction
> >Garnish: Mushrooms and tarragon.
> >
> >Obviously, we serve these on an individual basis per order. So we plate
> >each portion separately, wrap with saran and when people order, we use
the
> >microwave to heat the wrapped portion, pour the warmed demi sauce over it
> >garnish and serve.
> >Hope this is helpful. The mushroom duxelle recipe is more than you need.
> >Paul says the duxelles freezes well.

Enjoy...Kate

- newsguy - 06-30-2004

thanks very much for the tasting notes, kate. about what i expected on the '98, but was encouraging to see that most folks had it as the #3 bottle of the night (if i read you correctly). i'll serve that as the first wine of the evening at my wife's graduation next year.

and that recipe looks delicious!

thanks again!

- winoweenie - 06-30-2004

Followed the vintage guidelines faily well there Kate. Your observations are consistant with what I've had since the 1st bottling of this wine. I have a fairly large cellar and not one bottle of Opus graces its' shelves. Nice wine but as has been said meeny times " Hocus-Pocus-Opus". WW

- Brom - 07-02-2004

Two things:

First, "infanticide" is a terrible term for drinking a wine young. It cheapens the horrendous act of child murder by making it a metaphor for opening a bottle of wine.

Second, I read "even after an hour & a half in decanter was still tannic" as if a red wine having noticeable tannins is a bad thing. It is not. If I had a Cabernet that was not tannic after an hour and a half, I would be thinking Woodbridge.

Tannic grip is not only acceptable, it is an integral part of a fine red wine.

- Drew - 07-03-2004

No more cheapens the act than saying an actor "Brought the house down" or a comedian "Slayed his audience" or "knocked em dead" that a person "Went postal" or any of the thousands of descriptive violent metaphors used throughout languages. If I refered to the "Battlefields of business" am I cheapening the horrors of war that those soldiers who have represented this Country in any of it's wars have experienced? Your first comment, Brom, is unwarranted and inappropriate for this forum. It would be nice if you could stick to the subject of wine without flaming comments.

Drew

- winoweenie - 07-03-2004

Seems this guy/gal has no other way to justify his lofty opinion of his brilliance.
Seems to make some good observations Drewski then looks for anything that might he/she might be able to take a negative spin to. Reaaaally needs to get a life. WW
If you notice that post was made over a month ago. Either he/she's a VERY slow reader or he/she just thought of a negative come-back.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-03-2004).]

- winoweenie - 07-03-2004

One more thought crossed my mind Drew and other regulars on this board. Brom, as far as I've been able to assertain, has not made ONE posting on a wine he/she has drunk. No cabs, no merlots, no bordeauxs, no pinots, nor no SWs. His/her only posts are observational and confrontational. Brom, do you drink wine? Brom do you have a cellar? Brom can you give an original tasting note on a wine? Inquiring minds would like to know.WW