WineBoard
Top 16 California Cabs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Top 16 California Cabs (/thread-4348.html)

- Randy Caparoso - 05-05-1999

Folks, on the Chardonnay thread I'm soliciting help for the Top 10 CA Chards and Chard dishes. Today The Honolulu Advertiser came out with my list of the Top 16 California Cabernet Sauvignon (including Cab dominated blends) today. I only do this list about once every five years. My list -- influenced by other writers and publications, but also personal (since it's for a general readership, I try to balance personal with consensus) -- in order of quality:

1. Ridge Monte Bello
2. Robert Mondavi Reserve
3. Caymus Special Selection
4. Beringer Private Reserve
5. Spottswoode
6. Opus One
7. Joseph Phelps Insignia
8. Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon
9. Shafer Hillside Select
10. Laurel Glen Sonoma Mt.
11. Kenwood Artist
12. Araujo-Eisele
13. B.V. Private Reserve
14. Viader
15. Silver Oak Alexander Valley
16. Dalla Valle

- Bucko - 05-05-1999

Monte Bello remains my favorite CA Cab - one wine that I do not feel bad about splurging on.

Bucko

- Jerry D Mead - 05-06-1999

And I would place Insignia higher up the list!

And while it doesn't have a real long track record, I'm being seduced vintage after vintage by Ferrari-Carano Tresor Reserve Red (originally just called "Reserve Red."

Simi is also awfully consistent.

- MikeE - 05-06-1999

Great list and hard to argue with most of it, but what they hey. I do agree with Jerry that I'd place Insignia higher, but that's splitting hairs.

I'm not sure omitting Chateau Montelena makes much sense to me. The track record of the their cabs is certainly on a par with Ridge, Mondavi, Beringer, and other "old-timers" on your list. I guess there are some reviewers out there who are tepid on Montelena, but I would have thought that a "consensus" list would have overcome that. All I can say is that the less publicity they get the better since it may get them to hold the line on their prices a little better.

Placing SO Alex and NC Rubicon above Montelena are very interesting choices to say the least.

Regards,
ME

- hncjc - 05-06-1999

I would more Insignia up also. I would consider adding Montelena, Dominus, Etude and Peter Michael. I would drop down Opus One and Rubicon.

- Randy Caparoso - 05-08-1999

Wow! I can't believe there's so much agreement! Of course, there could be switching around of places. But here's my thinking:

1. Insignia's really great. But after doing a couple of verticals, I start to find them inconsistent (on an extremely high level, of course). But now I feel guilty, since even Monte Bello has its ups and downs. But I guess what I'm talking about is sometimes odd shifts in style and focus about the Insignia's. That's what keeps me from putting it above things like Opus One (which although not a personal favorite, is very, very consistent in both style and quality).

2. I was absolutely sure one of you would notice the absence of Chateau Montelena (and Diamond Creek, for that matter). Frankly, the "personal" feeling prevailed. I tend to find the Montelena a little brutal in tannin and tightness. I don't really enjoy drinking them. Maybe I don't eat enough chunks of rare steak, but it's really not my cup of... Cab.

3. I think Dominus in the '90s is improving -- marvelous structure and flesh. But like the Montelena, it is still a little tougher than it has to be. In my book, at least.

4. I was also wondering if you'd notice the movement of Rubicon up the list. Two years ago, it wouldn't have made my Top 30. But the '93, '94 and '95... bing, bang, boom! The enormous depth, concentration and breed associated with the vineyard is suddenly being presented in an incredibly balanced, seamless package. I realize that I'm probably prejudiced, since I loved the minty-cedary/blackcurranty "Rutherford" taste of the old Inglenook Casks. Nice to have it back in such sleek, spiffy new dress!

5. Can't argue with your assessment of the Simi "Reserve," Curmudgeon. It's just not as flashy as some of the other wines on the list. But the Ferrari-Carano "Tresor Reserve"... that, I'd have to go back to. I love George Bursick's work, but he's always had too much of of a lean, tough touch with the reds for me. Maybe I'm missing something in the latest vintages.

6. Etude is the one other Cabernet Sauvignon that I truly believe belongs. Heck, throw Corison in there, too. But in the end I left them out because their production is so small, it's always cruel to even talk about them (and remember, this was for a large daily newspaper).

Anyhow, that's my thinking.

- MikeE - 05-09-1999

Hey Randy, you deserve a lot of credit for acknowledging the merit of others opinions on your list and not getting defensive... kudos!

I guess that Montelena is, for me, a classic expression of cabernet and one not as forward in style as Beringer, Caymus, etc. I still think that Rubicon is very tannic, though the '94 was marvelous. The Etude is certainly a wonderful wine and would qualify on many "top" lists.

Interestingly, no one came to the defense of Heitz Martha's Vineyard, Stags Leap Cask 23 and a few other high profile veterans.

Nice job on the list and great for discussion... ME

- Randy Caparoso - 05-09-1999

Well, Mike, maybe this will bait 'em: Are there many of you out there who, like me, truly believe that the Heitz "Martha's" (and any other Heitz, for that matter) as well as Stag's Leap "Casks" have been grossly overrated over the past two decades.

I quibble about phenolic imbalances in beauties like Montelena and Dominus, but half the time the Cabernets from Heitz and Stag's Leap are flawed or even downright dirty (obviously, at least to my taste). I can't, of course, argue with other people's pleasure. If that's what they like, fine. But personally, I've often wondered why and how certain wines get rated the way they do...

Hey, has anyone enjoyed the wines from Schweiger on Spring Mt. Now that's one to watch!