WineBoard
What appetizers with Pinot Grigio/Gris? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What appetizers with Pinot Grigio/Gris? (/thread-421.html)

- noelle - 04-21-2002

Hello...

I have recently joined a wine club with some friends and it's my turn to host a wine tasting. I have chosen Pinot Grigio/Gris and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for appy's/cheeses that would be appropriate. Cheers! Noelle.

- hotwine - 04-22-2002

Welcome to the board, Noelle. Pairing Pinot G. with appetizers is kind of tricky. First, the easy part: fresh, cold, raw vegetables, such as sliced mushrooms, broccoli, carrot sticks, cauliflower all match very well; but dips need to be chosen carefully. Something like a mild ranch dressing would be OK, but a heavy blue cheese would not. Simple unflavored crackers and breads are also useful, but suggest you avoid greasy or spicey foods, such as buffalo wings or stuffed jalapenos. For cheeses, I'd look for a mild, pale cheese, such as a baby Gouda or Edam, and avoid heavy aged cheeses, since those would not work well with Pinot G. Suggest you road-test your choices before your party, so you'll know what to expect and can discard any mismatches beforehand.

- Innkeeper - 04-22-2002

Soft goat cheese works very well. Beware of heavily flavored ones (garlic, onion, etc) though. Serve on/with thin, unsalted crackers. Can also be made into vegetable dip as Hotsie suggested.

- zenda2 - 04-22-2002

I like it with salmon...and that might offer a few other possibilities.

- Thomas - 04-22-2002

It depends on the wine and the producer. A light Pinot Grigio--like that expensive Santa Margherita (sp) nonsense--is better as a simple aperitif; a more forward Pinot Grigio--as in Ritratti, Trentino--will do well with Reggiano and ham.

As for Pinot Gris, if Alsatian try it with spicy sausages, bread and broccoli cole slaw. If from Oregon, the stuff to match Pinot Grigio should be ok.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-22-2002).]

- Bucko - 04-22-2002

OR Pinot Gris goes wonderfully with shellfish. Simple boiled shrimp or crablegs are delightful.

- jock - 04-25-2002

The all-time classic pairing with Pinot Gris from Alsace is cold foie gras. Preferably the Pinot Gris should be a VT or Vendange Tardive. It is pure heaven.

Do not settle for less than the real thing on the foie gras it should be cold and it should be "whole." It can either be poached or salt cured. Do not waste money on "pate" or worse yet "mousse." Also do not sully the foie with truffles, cognac, Sauternes or anything else. You can get it from specialty stores or from the producers (d'Artagnian or Hudson Farms).

Salt curing is near fool-proof but it is a bit messy and it takes an hour or two of prep time and three days to cure. I can't remember all the details of how to do it off the top of my head. Could post later if anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by jock (edited 04-25-2002).]

- mrdutton - 05-05-2002

A mix of salmon eggs and the goat chesse on plain light crackers like Carrs water wafers might be a nice match.

PS: It would be interesting to hear how your wine tasting worked out!! Please tell us.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-05-2002).]