WineBoard
Couple 20-30 dollar '01 Cabbies - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Couple 20-30 dollar '01 Cabbies (/thread-4176.html)

- oostexan - 07-24-2005

Made the following vittles:
Grilled some spicey pork tenderloin kabobs wrapped with proscuitto and covered with diced Spanish olives, fresh corn on the cob, and garlic mashed potatoes. Yummy. The wifey and I decided to put the 01 Pine Ridge Rutherford and the 01 Flora Springs Napa to a side by side test. Each retails for right at 30 clams, but can be had on Winex.com and at The Wine Club for for right around 20 or so.

Both are fine bottlings and have been in my cellar for about 1.5 to 2 years now, so I thought it was time to see how both were doing. I think I bought them right about the same time in Nov/Dec of 03 and bought a half case of each.

The Pine Ridge took about an hour to open up, nice floral scents on the nose and a fair amount of currant on the palate. A very good wine. Good concentration, probably needs a little more time as it is a bit tight and the fruit is not quite ready to open up. A very good wine. Medium complexity, and little closed right now, but very nice and deserves another couple years of cellaring to see what happens.

The Flora Springs did not play around, it was ready to get going right away and continued to improve with air. Excellent nose, great depth of fruit, enough concentration and enough tannin to make you consider the possibilities. Might be my favorite medium priced 01 Cab this year out of Turnbull, Pine Ridge, Provenance, Simi, and the Buehler Estate Cab. I have all of them and continue to try them, but this guy just has a level of refinement and pedigree that really makes it stand out. A real sleeper too; zero press. Gonna search for another case if its out there. What and outstanding wine. Great job to Ken and team.

[This message has been edited by oostexan (edited 07-24-2005).]

- jmcginley1 - 07-24-2005

Those kabobs sound great. Did you dress them with anything?

- oostexan - 07-25-2005

Oh yes. I took the pork tenderloin and sliced it into 8 rectangular pieces that were about 2 inch by 8 inch, then skewered them lengthwise. I dusted them with salt, pepper, thyme and sage, wrapped them in prosciutto, then brushed them with olive oil and grilled them. Took them off the grill, dusted them with a little more of the above spices, laid them across a serving dish, and covered them with chopped Spanish olives. Served them with fresh corn on the cob and garlic mashers.

Paired perfectly with both wines.

- winoweenie - 07-25-2005

Hi Oos and a belated welcome to the board. I've been out of town. If you go back a year on the Cab thread you'll find many postings I've made on Mr. Dies excellent bottlings. We spent time with him at the winery last Nov. and had a ball. One of the most consistant wineries from Napa along with Ch. Montelena, Robert Craig, and Phelps. WW

- oostexan - 07-25-2005

WW,

I agree, all of their wines are just great, including their Italian varietals and the Toad Hall Bodacious. I love the flavor profile, reminds me more of the Frenchies in that they lean toward the complex/elegant side rather than the "all out concentration" and "blockbuster" side. So smoooooth. I wonder if that effects the ratings the wines get as Laube seems to go for the wines that wear your taste buds out.

Anyway, we just got back from a five day trip to wine country and, while there, did the full tour of Flora with the barrel samplings, cave tour, etc. What a great operation they have considering they do not get all the press that Ch. Montelena, Phelps, Duckhorn, etc. do.

Also, I need to try Robert Craig wines; I see them "around" but have not tasted them. Any recommendations?

- winoweenie - 07-25-2005

Anything he produces. Affinity, Howell, Mt. Veeder and even the Amador Zins. WW