WineBoard
2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate (/thread-4150.html)

- winoweenie - 07-20-2010

From Mag. Took to lunch yesserday knowing full well I mite be committing Engineericide. Tho still young it was still a pleasure to drink. Such a balanced piece of work. Will definately keep the remaining mags in the dark but will break out a 750 whilst what remains of me memory can compare. WW

- newsguy - 07-22-2010

opened the only bottle i've ever had of the montelena estate, an '01, a year ago. it was very primary and a big disappointment, but it was my own fault for opening a notoriously slow-aging wine from a tannic vintage at only eight years of age.

am glad the softer '02 proved to be rewarding drinking for you already, WW. i know you like your wines with a few whiskers on 'em. [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 07-22-2010).]

- andrawes76 - 07-25-2010

Only been accustomed to newer Ch. Montelena vintages and have never had a memorable bottle for the price I paid. Perhaps its because I have always found the acidity to be off balance with the fruit.

I will try to hold a few bottles back and see if age changes my opinion.

RE: - winoweenie - 03-12-2013

[quote='winoweenie' pid='16506' dateline='1279644240']
From Mag. Took to lunch yesserday knowing full well I mite be committing Engineericide. Tho still young it was still a pleasure to drink. Such a balanced piece of work. Will definately keep the remaining mags in the dark but will break out a 750 whilst what remains of me memory can compare. WW
[/quote]

Taking another to lunch today with some dear friends at a post B/D party. Will report tomorrow. WW

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - winoweenie - 03-13-2013

Took the mag and a 750 to the club yesterday. Thot there was going to be 6 instead 2 of my friends flew back to Montana Sunday so 'twere just Cal and our lovely CBs. The girls decided they wanted bubbly so it was up to Cal and I to do the deed. After the first sniff. swirl, and taste we decided it was a blessing them dudes went home. Not quite DOTOIG but close enough that it done' matter none. Lovely juice, quaffed with lovely people, in a lovely setting made for a lovely day. WW

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - TheEngineer - 03-13-2013

So I'm assuming that you popped the 750?? Otherwise known to WW as the "Half" bottle...... Smile

Mag still in tack?

Fer goonies sake ENG!!!!!! We did a number on BOTH. The mag dint quite make it thru the cheese and pruschetta plate so the 750 we weaned thru the balance and our main courses. Seems like there was an inordantly large "Angels Share" as we hit the low 80s' yesterday. WWCool

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - Drew - 03-13-2013

A four (4) day sabbatical Huh?

4 day me fat patootie! Was on that sucker for over 2 weeks . WW

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - TheEngineer - 03-14-2013

OMG!.... Smile

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - Innkeeper - 03-16-2013

Understand that they just lost their winemaker.

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - TheEngineer - 03-19-2013

When Cos did not buy them, I was wondering what would happen. Might be totally unrelated.

RE: 2002 Ch. Montelena Estate - winoweenie - 03-22-2013

That was Jim Barrett the father and founder of Ch. Monty who died. His son Bo has been the winemaker for over 10 years now. Jim was one of the true gentlemen in the wine biz and will be missed. WW