WineBoard
Couldn't Pass this One Up... 'Sides Bottle's Pretty - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Couldn't Pass this One Up... 'Sides Bottle's Pretty (/thread-4054.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 08-23-2002

Hi WL'vR95 and welcome to the board. You must be very close to one of our regulars, MrD. Seems he live in Va. Beach or there-a-bouts. You 2 should get together. WW

- wineluvr95 - 08-24-2002

Thanks so much for the welcome! I actually did email MrDutton once about a year ago when I first discovered this board. I was curious which wine shops in the area he would recommend. He sent me back a very nice and helpful reply. Haven't seen him around here too much lately, but I do enjoy his posts. Actually, one of the main reasons I like this board so much is the cameraderie (spelling?) amongst the regular posters and the tongue in cheek humor. It makes learning about wine even more fun.

- winoweenie - 08-24-2002

WLR95....The reason for the " wine-in-cheek " humor is to make sure we don' have enny idear 'bout the true taste of the stuff
we be forced to drink. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- mrdutton - 09-02-2002

I just was basement searching at POPS and found the 1998 Milenage on sale. I warned my wife she'd better buy a whole lot of candles. (Well they'd come in handy if we should have a hurricane.)

Two cases at $3.15 per, add in the shipping and the total still comes to only $50.00 a case which is still the price the local shops chose to dump this juice a while back.

I thought I'd take a chance, cuz it was a good drink and with 60% CS it should have a chance of holding up for more than a year or two assuming Pop's stored it well.

Will let you know soon..............

- hotwine - 09-03-2002

It should be good, Mike. I tried one a couple of weeks ago from the case that had been tucked away in the cellar for two years prior to the cellar being chilled, and it was still in good shape. That little wine is surprisingly durable!

- mrdutton - 09-04-2002

Well it arrived to day and 23 bottles are resting. I couldn't help myself and opened one bottle and then chilled it down to about 63 or so.

Nice juice for sure. Pop's must have done a decent job of storing it.

Now I'll wait and see how it tastes after a rest from its arduous trip in the back of the UPS truck!

- Innkeeper - 09-04-2002

Well, their catalog said they just gloomed onto 1000 cases, and didn't say where it came from. So, the whomever must have stored it properly.

- mrdutton - 09-04-2002

Well being an old blind idiot, I misread the online catalog.

You are right it came from their supplier, not from their inventory.......

"Often in the wine business, good wine sometimes doesn't sell. We love it when good wine doesn't sell, especially when it isn't in our inventory, but in our suppliers' inventory. The original wholesale price of this wine was $6.00 per bottle. It was well-reviewed and it sold routinely from a $7 discount through a $9-$10 retail price."

Whatever, it is tastey juice, ready to drink now and those two cases will not last but about a month or so; maybe less.

Twenty-two bottles of wine on the wall, twenty-two bottles of wine..........

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 09-04-2002).]

- mrdutton - 02-14-2003

Well it was actually twenty-four bottles of wine on the wall.....

Be that as it may, I trashed a total of four bottles out of twenty-four, so the cost per bottle did go up a bit.

However as I am writing this message I am eating a roast beef sandwich on pumpernickle and I am washing it down with a glass of 1998 Milenage.

Still has some fruit, still has some tannin. Not a 'oh my got in himmel, dis is super stuff' type wine, but it is still going down the espoh without destroying any tastebuds. In other words, the stuff is still decent, but most likely at a peak.

Go figure..........

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-14-2003).]