WineBoard
paella - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: paella (/thread-377.html)

- n144mann - 03-01-1999

I was wondering if you folks had an good ideas for a wine to drink with paella. In my paella, the main ingredients I include are chicken, chorizo, shrimp,and muscles (if I can find fresh ones-sometimes tough in MN). It is seasoned of course with saffron. It is not for company, so like to keep the price below $15 if I can. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

- Jerry D Mead - 03-01-1999

I'm awful about prices...but I would think you could get a good Rioja like Marques de Murrieta for somewhere in that ballpark..a good Chianti Classico could do, or maybe a Geyser Peak Shiraz, which would definitely be under that price.

In the true bargain arena..check out Forest Glen Syrah or Sangiovese.

Don't be stingy with that saffron, now.

JDM

- n144mann - 03-01-1999

No worries!! Paella is no good without plenty of saffron!! ITs worth every penny....or should I say dollar! Thanks once again, you guys are a big help!!

- Kcwhippet - 03-02-1999

Nancy,
What does saffron cost you in MN? I use it quite a bit, and the cheapest I've found it here in MA is $4.50 per gram.

Bob

- n144mann - 03-02-1999

Hi Bob,
The last time I bought it here in Rochester Minnesota, I bought a 1.3 gram package for about $12. You are doing alot better than I am! It is really hard to find here. In fact I am at the end of mine and am going to have to start searching again. I love the stuff, but it comes at a dear price.

Nancy

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 03-02-99).]

- Thomas - 03-02-1999

Look for Spanish reds from the Ribera del Duero region -- great with Paella or chorizo.

At those prices, saffron producing countries should use it to support their currency.

- Kcwhippet - 03-02-1999

Wow! You're paying more than twice what I do for the saffron. If you can't get a better price out there, I can ship you 5 grams, or so. The cost of the saffron and the shipping will be about 50% of what you're paying now.

Bob

- n144mann - 03-02-1999

Thanks Bob,I will check what I can find here and if I can't do better I will definately take you up on your generous offer. I will let you know in the next week.
TTYL
Nancy

Oh by the way Bob, you buy whole threads, not ground, right?? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

- Botafogo - 03-07-1999

Back to the Paella and wine question:

ROSE!!!!!!!!!!! BONE DRY AND ICE COLD!!!!!!

One really good one (and the best wine that Joe Heitz makes) is the Heitz Grignolino Napa Rose that should retail for under $7.99 even in the hinterlands.

- n144mann - 03-07-1999

Thanks for the suggestions, I have noted them all in my database. I really appreciate your help.