WineBoard
Wines without sulfites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Wines without sulfites (/thread-3316.html)

- liz-e - 07-01-2001

I have a friend who has problems with sulfites - asthma, headaches.

I had read that sulfites in small quantities do occur in all wines but isn't it true that additional sulfites are added to many wines?

Guess I'll recommend he stick to scotch!

[This message has been edited by liz-e (edited 07-02-2001).]

- barnesy - 07-01-2001

There are virtually no wines without sulfates as they are a naturally occuring substance in wines. Why do you seek non sulfate wines?

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 07-02-2001

LizE and welcome to the board. I think someone gave you some erroneous info. There would be no reason for a winemaker to add sulfites to wine. If you go back 100 days on this thread you'll get all the info you need. WW

- Thomas - 07-02-2001

ww, you mispeak. The majority of wines on the planet have sulfites added to them during the winemaking process and then some have it adjusted before bottling. Red wines require lower doses, generally, than do whites. Sulfites protect against oxidation.

If your friend is asthmatic, then he/she is smart to be wary, however, the sulfite levels in wine are quite low, and there is scant information regarding asthmatics reacting to wine.

- winoweenie - 07-03-2001

Sorry about that Foodie. Guess I was speaking for my favorite color. I should have stated the winemakers I know don't add them dudes. WW

- cpurvis - 07-03-2001

liz-e, you might take a look at Bucko's comments re: sulfites v. histamines in the following post. Unless your friend has a medically confirmed sulfite problem, them perhaps that isn't the problem at all.

http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum37/HTML/001002.html

cp

- barnesy - 07-05-2001

At one of the stores on my route, I saw a bottle that was labeled "no detectable sulfates" I think the brand was Frey or Frez. The last letter was rather funky. It is made mostly of Chenin Blanc, not chard. Thats best I've seen though.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 07-05-2001

That's Frey Vineyards. They organically farm their grapes. Not very percepitably different. WW

- Thomas - 07-06-2001

For everyone's information, the following list of packaged foods that may contain sulfites is provided by the FDA:

Baked Goods--cookies, crackers, mixes with dried fruits or vegetable, pie crust, pizza crust, quiche crust, flour tortillas.

Beverages--beer, cocktail mixes, wine, wine coolers, dried citrus fruit beverages

Condiments & Relishes--horseradish, onion and pickle relish, pickles, olives, salad dressing mixes, vinegars

Confections & Frostings--brown-raw-white sugar derived from beets

Modified Dairy Prods--a specially prepared skim milk in which vegetable oil is added to increase fat content

Drugs--antiemetics for nausea, cardiovascular drugs, antibiotics, tranquilizers, intravenous muscle relaxers, analgesics, anesthetics, steroids and nebulized bronchodilator solutions

Fish and shellfish--canned clams, fresh, frozen, canned or dried shrimp, frozen lobster, scallops, dried cod

Gelatins, Puddings and Fillings--fruit fillings, flavored and unflavored gelatin, pectin jelly agents

Grains--cornstarch, modified food starch, spinach pasta, gravies, hominy, breadings, batters, noodle/rice mixes

Jams/Jellies

Nuts--shredded coconut

Plant protein--soy

Processed fruits--canned, bottled or frozen juices, dried fruit, glazed fruits

Processed vegetables--juice, canned vegetables, dried vegetables, instant mashed potato, prepared potato salad, frozen potato

Snack foods--dried, trail mixes, filled crackers

Soups and mixes--canned seafood, dried soup mix

Sweet sauces and toppings--corn, maple and high fructose syrups, fruit toppings, pancake syrup

Tea--instant and liquid concentrates

So, how about all those sulfites in wine????

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-06-2001).]