WineBoard
weight loss/gain & wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: weight loss/gain & wine (/thread-3300.html)

- blushlover - 07-11-2002

I'm on a low carb diet and still want to enjoy my wine without destroying my diet. Does anyone have info on carb amts. I prefer a sweet wine like white zinfindel. Is that the worst for carbs/sugars? Any suggestions for another alternative. Not into dry wines at all. Thanks for any help.

- Innkeeper - 07-11-2002

Hi Blushlover, and welcome to the Wine Board. You can loose weight on a low carb diet and have your wine. My darling wife lost over 100 lbs on a low carb diet while drinking a glass or two of wine every night.

The kicker is it was dry wine. They more residual sugar in wine, the more carbs. It's as simple as that. If you are trying to keep it around 20 carbs a day (grams of carbohydrates) most white zin will get you there quickly. Try dry whites like Sancerre, Dry Vouvray, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and riesling, pinot blanc, and gewurtztraminer from Alsace.

Reds to try are Bardolino, Volpolicella, Beaujolais and Cru Beaujolais, and barberas from Italy and California.

- blushlover - 07-11-2002

Thanks for the info. Are any of the wines that you mentioned "less dry" than others? Any have a bit of a sweet taste?

- Innkeeper - 07-11-2002

All the wines are bone dry, but all taste sweeter than other dry whites and reds. Why? Because the fresh fruit these wine exhibit, give an illusion of sweetness.

- Kcwhippet - 07-11-2002

Based on information from the USDA and a few other sources, there are some numbers out that you can use to plan your daily carb intake. A 5 oz. serving of a typical dry red wine has about 2.4 grams of carbohydrate. Whites have about 1.1 grams.

- zenda2 - 07-11-2002

Good to know, I just started on a low-carb diet this week. It looks like I'll be drinking more SW's for a while, and the occasional glass of good bourbon. Oh well, I'll just look at it as letting my red wines age a while longer.

- Innkeeper - 07-11-2002

If Blushlover and good ole Zenda Too e-mail me, I'll send some low carb recipes to knock your socks off. Incidentally blushing bride drinks mostly (12-1) reds to white on her diet.

- zenda2 - 07-12-2002

Thanks IK...Look for email.

- Thomas - 07-13-2002

I may be wrong about this, but I thought alcohol is a carbohydrate. Alcohol is converted sugar. My impression was that the carbs in wine come from both alcohol and residual sugar.

Anyone out there hosting the chemical facts? Bucko, perhaps?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-13-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2002

You're right Foodie. There are carbs in dry wine as quoted above. Point we were making is that there are more carbs in off dry wine than in dry wine.

- Thomas - 07-14-2002

'suppose what I meant to say was: that I was under the assumption that the alcohol carbohydrates are the same as the sugar carbs, so if there is no r.s. but high alcohol (14%) the wine could contain the same carbohydrate as a low alcohol (10%) with some r.s.

Bucko, where are you?