WineBoard
Wine,Gastrointestinal Health, Lactobacillus etc - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Wine,Gastrointestinal Health, Lactobacillus etc (/thread-3267.html)

- Velvety - 10-21-2000

Hello all from a new member. Could some knowledgeable person/s please post latest on beneficial effects of certain wines in treatment of serious bacterial infections such as mycoplasma which causes CFS/CFIDS/GWI etc. I am tired of taking antibiotics, and would much appreciate expert advice. There is talk of immune system malfunction if gastro environment is not correct..I am stepping up yoghurt intake, but need more science..many thanks..Velvety

- Bucko - 10-21-2000

One, wine is not a treatment for infections, two, mycoplasma is not a "serious" infection, three, despite considerable worldwide efforts, no single etiology has been identified to explain the development of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). It is likely that multiple factors promote its development, sometimes with the same factors both causing and being caused by the syndrome. A detailed review of the literature suggests a number of marginal nutritional deficiencies may have etiologic relevance. These include deficiencies of various B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, sodium, zinc, L-tryptophan, L-carnitine, coenzyme Q10, and essential fatty acids. we don't know the exact cause of CFS, or associated with subtle neuroendocrine and immunologic abnormalities. Many believe that there is a psychiatric, personality, and psychosocial etiology for CFS.

You won't find a cure in a glass of wine..... though you may not care as much.

Bucko

- Velvety - 10-21-2000

Bucko (Dr)..thank you for reply. M fermentans effects on GW vets and their families are devastating. I come from Australia and was diagnosed with GWI/DNA high load of mycoplasma 2 yrs ago. Go to forums.about.com to see what fellow sufferers are experiencing..and we are tired of being labelled psychos. Many of us have multiple degrees anbd can't string 2 words together when symptoms are severe;needless to say we haven't worked for years. Look at Congressman Bob Filner's CFS Statement..www.immed.org/whatsnew/FilnerNIHTestimony00-2-8.htm, and many other sites for the latest.You are right, I think a little red might at least drown us out... Velvety

- Velvety - 10-21-2000

Dr Bucko, there is much research on such topics. Go to http://cdli.asm.org/search.shtml for an article "RNAs in Sera of Persian Gulf War Veterans" by Urnovitz,Tuite,Higashida,Murphy of May99 edition of CDLI , mentioning Voyager RNA aberrations and bovine Growth Factor's ability to destroy aberrent RNA segments. The article above refers to aberrent RNA from Chromosome 22.

At www.about.com there is material by Dr Larry Sosna on HGH use for CFIDS/GWI. EBV is mentioned as a common viral cause.

M fermantans buries itself in the immune system, having half a cell wall, and can devastate the immune system according to the victim's specific state.

- Bucko - 10-21-2000

Sorry, but I don't buy it, nor does most top health authorities. I spent 7 months in Desert Shield/Desert Storm, ate the dirt, sucked down the oil well fire smoke, had the anthrax shot, and was in one of the units exposed to nerve agents (that weren't there officially). Desert Storm syndrome is wishful/fantasy thinking IMHO. Take a city of 600,000 people. You have a set percentage with cancer, leukemia, arthritis, CFS, asthma, etc. There is no *valid* data that I am aware of, i.e., published in a major medical journal, to show that the incidence of disease in Persian Gulf deployees is any higher than in the normal populace. I have been through not one, not two, but three Desert Storm evaluations -- all have been totally normal, and I had more exposure than 90% of the troops there. I don't buy Desert Storm Syndrome for one minute. But, you are entitled to your own opinion, of course, and I respect that. However, no amount of debating will settle anything.

Bucko

- Velvety - 10-22-2000

Dr Bucko, That is very interesting. Yes, I believe in statistics, but I also believe in the fact that symptoms shared by me and countless others on the forums.about.com site are too exact to be fantasy. The point is..we need an urgent cure..more research. We don't have the profile that AIDS people had/have to get much moving politically..we have a notifiable disease in our hands, and family members exposed long enough also contract this disease. Doctors also get it..so does this make it suddenly a credible condition? The encephalitis aspect is bad enough without all the other disabling aspects..Velvety