WineBoard
bad reaction to a certain wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: bad reaction to a certain wine (/thread-3188.html)

- cwinters29 - 07-02-2007

Hello. Everytime I drink a Zinfandel or a Rose wine I get violently ill even if I only have a few sips. Does anyone have any ideas of why this happens? I drink Chardonnay and Cabernets, Burgundys with no problem whatsoever so I don't think it could be sulfites. Of course I won't drink the zins ever again but I am curious as to what would cause such a terrible reaction.

- Thomas - 07-03-2007

I have no idea what your problem is, but why would you even consider blaming sulfites? They don't make people violently ill--they make asthmatics gasp for oxygen, and not always.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-03-2007).]

- cwinters29 - 07-03-2007

Wow. I wrote to this forum with a serious problem received this reply? No thanks. I would have thought this site had more class. Consider me out!

- winoweenie - 07-03-2007

Wow CW. Having read and re-read both the question and the answers I don't really think your conclusion has merit. I can only gather from Foodies' answer is that sulfites are NOT the cause of your problem. As long as I've been drinking wine, and I can assure you very few people have my longivity, I have never heard of someone getting " violently ill " from drinking wine. I've known many who do have a sufite intolerence but there's sulfites present in all wines. My suggestion is to consult with your doctor as there could be something more serious than the wines causing this reaction. Good luck. WW ( PS. You don't have to unsubscribe from this site, merely deign to ignore it.)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-03-2007).]

- Thomas - 07-03-2007

This kind of response is exactly why I have pulled back from posting online. Amazing to take offense at what I posted, and also ensures that the information in the post was not assimilated.

- Bucko - 07-04-2007

There are only two components in wine that make people react -- sulfites and histamines.

Sulfites are usually higher in white wines. Histamines are higher in red wines.

When you say you can drink Cabernet but not Zinfandel, Chardonnay but not Rose, it makes no medical sense, thus the responses you got.

Secondly, you need to thicken your hide a bit. I cannot see where you would find offense in Foodie's reply. Granted, he is a crusty old fart, but that is why we love him.

- shipscook - 07-09-2007

Interesting, the reference to "violently ill", only to certain wines? Have you tried more than one Chard or Zin?

I find I get headaches (while I am drinking)
from a few different wines. Several are chards, not a chard drinker, so not a big deal. A couple of Zins, one was really good and I even tried a second bottle! This one was a bit spendy, price doesn't seem to matter.

There are allergies to some alchols?? I get a dizzy, not good feeling from vodka, even when mixed into a punch?

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm?
Nan

[This message has been edited by shipscook (edited 07-08-2007).]