WineBoard
Wines for Diabetics - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Wines for Diabetics (/thread-3180.html)

- LoveDJ - 10-13-2000

Do you know of any wines that has no sugar, a wine for diabetics?

Thank you!

- Bucko - 10-13-2000

Sorry, but that makes no medical sense. Alcohol is very readily converted to blood sugar. All wine has alcohol except the stuff like Frei. All wine effects blood sugar.

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 10-13-2000

Don't want to argu with the doc, but my experiance goes like this. In April they found my blood sugar to be 125. My primary care person analyzed my diet, took me off sweets and most beer, and left me on wine. Since then I have had a half bottle or a little more just about every night, and my blood sugar is down to 110.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-13-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-13-2000

You aren't contradicting anything that I said. Diabetes is not magic. If you intake more glucose from foods than endogenous and exogenous insulin can cover, blood sugar goes up. You cut back on other intake, allowing intake of wine.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 10-13-2000

A few weeks ago my blood sugar was 300. A week later after a 16 hour fast it was tested at 250.

After dieting for two weeks it was tested again at 110. The Doctor was happy about that, so I guess I was also.

I cut out the whiskey, but did not cut out the red wine. Doctor said a drink or two of wine a day would not hurt. I said good, because there are somethings that I just won't give up and wine was one of them.

However, I've cut out a lot of other sugars. No more cookies, cake, candies, or sodas. I now drink a lot of tea and water and coffee with nothing more than "that blue stuff" to help sweeten the flavor. Seems to be working.

- Thomas - 10-14-2000

blue stuff? what's that?

If there is one thing I have been lucky about it is that I have neither sweet nor salt tooth, which of course requires that I compensate with more wine.

- Innkeeper - 10-14-2000

Blue stuff is the stuff that isn't pink stuff. Only know that because guests used to ask for them. Never touch them ourselves. Both are lousy for cooking anyway. Blue stuff evaporates, and pink stuff tastes like metal. If a recipe absolutely has to have a sweetner in it, e.g. some barbeque sauces, we use Stevia. It holds up in cooking, is a natural herb, and a little goes a long way.

- Kcwhippet - 10-16-2000

Wow, IK! I didn't know there were other people that actually knew what Stevia was. I'm impressed. BTW, do you use the prepackaged singles?

- Innkeeper - 10-16-2000

Use both individual packets and bulk. Get them at our local Coop. Available elsewhere at health and whole food outlets.

- mrdutton - 10-17-2000

IK, tell me more about Stevia, please.

As for the "blue stuff" I DON'T use it for cooking, just for the coffee and iced tea.

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2000

Stevia don't go good with wine.