WineBoard
Wine Sales Job - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Biz/Investment (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Sales Job (/thread-3103.html)

- NorCalGirl - 07-15-2003

A question for all of you that are in the wine biz...My background is as a hotel sales manager and I'm looking at the possibility of a job change - probably to another hotel but I applied for a wine sales job here in the area and was called in for an interview. It is obviously of great interest to me, however, most of the jobs I've seen advertised ask for specific wine experience leaving me out. This is for a boutique winery in the foothills (whose wine I know and like) covering the metro area I am in and only asked for a strong sales background and a wine interest. I'm curious to get a realistic view of this type of job. I know its difficult to get shelf space and wine list space for smaller wineries, but how much of a challenge should this prove to be? What should I know before the interview this week? Is it just a bad idea in the current market? I'm used to selling in tough times (the hospitality market has not been fun the last two years) but if the job is commission only, can I realistically expect to pay the rent and afford to eat too?

All candid responses welcome :-)

- Thomas - 07-16-2003

NorCal...

A lot depends on the winery's commitment to a good sales effort. For instance, I once was approached by a small winery that heard I could sell wine. I was asked to take on the winery (part time) on a commission basis--I stopped working on straight commission years ago, for various reasons, but the main reason resides in the following conversation I had with that winery owner.

Me: "So, what will you pay?"

Him: "$8 a case."

Me: "Not great money, but not so bad if I am not relying on it for all my income. Is there a placement bonus?"

Him: "Yes. In fact, we want to do something different. We will offer a bonus for the second and third placements."

Me: "That's interesting, and appealing too. What will you be doing to back me up?"

Him: "What do you mean--back you up?"

Me: "Well, I make the first placement with the retailer, but consumers know little or nothing about your wine. If you do not have a promotion or marketing plan, how will anyone learn about your wine, and how will I get the next two placements if the first one doesn't move. Remember, you want me to sell to the retailer, not to the consumer. How does the wine get sold to the consumer?"

Him: "I hadn't thought about it that way."

He should have, and so should you before taking a commission-only job. And also, remember that small wineries often haven't much promotion money, so you likely will have to spend lots of time "selling" also to the consumer: doing wine tastings at the store and elsewhere, for which you will not be paid.

Again, it depends on the winery, but selling wine at distribution level is not a piece of cake.

- winoweenie - 07-16-2003

Hi NorCalGirl. Having been in the sales biz for longer than you could comprehend I'll jump in with some observations. Is this a well-known small player? As Foodie said do they have any promotional effort in your territory? Can the winery feel confident enough to offer you a draw against commission for the 1st 6 months? Have you seen the wine displayed in any of the major wine shops in the area? What was his sales in the area for the last3, 6, 9, and 12 month period? If you want to ralk further leave your E-Mail and I'll contact you. WW

- NorCalGirl - 07-16-2003

Thank you both for your honest replies. WW, please feel free to contact me at lammamy@hotmail.com I would be interested in talking with you further. Thanks!