WineBoard
MADD - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: MADD (/thread-2918.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-19-2000

Has anybody seen the new MADD ad that shows a mother who says, "So what if I turn my back when my kids use a little alcohol, so long as they don't use drugs?" Then they show a cork being pulled out of a bottle of wine. They they contend that umpteen percent of the kids that try alcohol go on to do cocaine. They're out to get us folks!

- cellarmate - 03-19-2000

Friend of mine claims to belong to a group called DAMM. Stands for drunks against mad mothers. Hopefully there is a middle ground for the responsible rest of us.

- Thomas - 03-19-2000

As all movements seem to go, MADD has been taken over by extremists. And like the prohibitionists of the nineteenth century, they will go to any extreme; equating alcohol with illegal drugs is mild compared to the lies these people tell, not the least of which are the so-called number of "alcohol-related" accidents plus the bloated stats on FAS.

The so-called binge drinking issue is both a language corruption as well as an issue rising for prohibition.

- mrdutton - 03-19-2000

I read an interesting article the other day about Freedom of Speech. The jist of the article was that we middle grounders are finding out more and more that the left is no longer defending free speech. It seems we now have to look to the right if we want to find some vanguards of free speech.

One example used was interesting. MADD has been quite upset recently with PETA. It appears that PETA was using a "Drink Beer not Milk" campaign aimed at college students as a means of pointing out the plight of the poor, abused milk cow. They were offering church keys in the shape of a beerbottle as gifts with the above slogan (or something like that) printed on the opener. This campaign was being run on a web site, there were no printed ads in magazines or newspapers, and no TV or radio spots and no big billboards. It was done "tongue-in-cheek" and was not intended to promote alcohol (according to PETA).

The local press picked up on it when MADD went mad and started attacking PETA about PETA's awful ads. Apparently PETA has backed down. In the meantime, the ACLU has kept very quiet during all of this business.

I don't support either group; I strongly dislike PETA and don't have much respect for MADD anymore. But, I think the whole thing is both hilarious and dangerous.

By-the-way, PETA says that the college kids, they were trying to educate about the plight of the milk cow, clearly understood PETA's attempt at sarcasm and were reacting positively to the campaign to save the cow.

Now I wouldn't mind getting one of the bottle openers as a novelty item. Unfortunately, PETA has run out of them.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-19-2000).]

- Thomas - 03-20-2000

Dutton, you are correct, I think, about the speech issue.

What I have discovered, however, is that no matter who seeks to protect our freedom of speech, the group seems also to select which speech should be free--normally, the speech that agrees with its wishes.

The "right" (and now the "left", it seems) in our land might profess freedom of speech, but not with matters pertaining to alcohol, sex, religion and (perish the thought) the creative arts (the left holds onto this one). These are all the things overwhich people in power feel powerless, and they hate that feeling.

We will not win the argument against alcohol unless we win the argument againts general "political correctness," which is a form of facism no matter on which end of the spectrum.

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2000

There's a great article in the current (March 20) edition of U.S. News & World Report on the Freedom of Speech issue. Seems that in California recently a valid complaint by some Hispanics went all the way to the state supreme court, who not only upheld their complaint, but issued a list of anti-Hispanic words that could not be uttered in the state again even by Hispanics in jest! And the ACLU never said a word!

- mrdutton - 03-20-2000

Remember George Carlin and the 7 words you couldn't say on TV?

These days you can say most of them on public TV; all of them on cable TV.

I've got some 1996 Cline Cellars Cotes D'Oakley open, I think I'll just sit in the corner and sip on that for a while!

- cellarmate - 03-21-2000

Now that's Ironic. MADD has driven Mr. Dutton to drink!

- Thomas - 03-21-2000

I am #%$^&*@ MAD and I am &*^$% not going to )(*@# take it any%^$#*more!

By my count, I have three $#*& more words I cannot %^#(& post on this *&%$# site.