WineBoard
Mango Salsa of the Tropics - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mango Salsa of the Tropics (/thread-289.html)

- californiagirl - 04-27-2004

This is one of my favorite salsa recipes. I pair it with almost anything. (Grilled salmon, shrimp, on a juicy grilled steak... even chicken... or with some blue corn chips.) The weather is reaching that awful stage here... 98 yesterday and 97 today. Nothing better than fresh veggies and fruit and a cool glass of wine, (or beer).

2 mangos, diced
2 lrg tomatos, diced
1 sm red pepper, diced (for a variation,try
roasting the pepper)
1 sm red onion, diced
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teas cumin, (or more if you like it)
1-2 teas OO
2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2-3 tbsp lime juice
fresh ground pepper
hot sauce
1 cup cilantro, chopped

Either mix together coarse, or in a food processor for a couple pulses. Should be fairly coarse when served. (And don't forget to chill before serving also.)

Mmmmmm...

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 04-27-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2004

You never made that for me.

- californiagirl - 04-28-2004

KC, that's what you said the last time I told you I was making it. So I'm giving you the recipe. I could ship the food out to you, but I don't think it would travel well.

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2004

Just printed it out.

- mrdutton - 05-06-2004

Is that any ole OO or should it be EVOO?

- mrdutton - 05-06-2004

Peppers are soluble in alcohol. So the best way to clear the palate of all those burning sensations is to swallow a snort of vodka or tequila. After swallowing several snorts you won't feel anything anyway......

Seriously, alcohol soluble.

- Kcwhippet - 05-06-2004

Always EVOO. At least it should be if I've taught my kids anything.

- californiagirl - 05-07-2004

Of course its EVOO. Just saving myself the extra work to add those letters.

mr dutton, it may be to early... but I'm confused about the alcohol thing. None in this recipe.

Made this Monday night. Let the flavors marry over night. Served it over grilled salmon with pencil thin green beans. (green beans were fresh and sweet... went good with the sweet mango.) Didn't roast the pepper this time, much better if you do. Still a great refreshing meal.

Paired this with a 2000 Ventana Pinot Blanc. Tasting notes include pineapple, touch of lemon... and can't figure this one out. Slightly creamy on the finish. Almost like ice cream. Didn't remind me of oak though.

- winoweenie - 05-07-2004

Neat receipe CG. Will try whenced I return from the Lakes. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-07-2004

CG - MrD is letting you know that capsaicin (the hot stuff in hot peppers) is alcohol soluble. So, if the dish is too hot to the taste, you can ameliorate the effect by taking a shot of tequila, which does wonders to quell the fire (at least from the chilies). Of course, casein (found in milk products) and starch can do the same thing, to some degree.

WW - Maybe I'll do up a batch and we can see how it goes with the salmon at Foodie's place.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 05-07-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 05-07-2004

The mangos should help handle the capsaicin themselves. If not the surefire answer is bananas.

- winoweenie - 05-07-2004

Scheduling change. I'm makin' this sucker Sunday fer brunch.WW Good idea KC. Should be a super match.

- californiagirl - 05-07-2004

KC- the cookbook is "Great Good Food" by Julee Rosso. cc 1993, Crown Books.

Good book... I always tweek written recipes to my own tastes, so obviously, what's in the book is a bit different from the above recipe.

- Kcwhippet - 05-10-2004

Made a batch Saturday to let it all integrate for next weekend. It's all gone! I have to make more to bring out. Good stuff!

- wondersofwine - 05-10-2004

I printed out the recipe to try at some future date. Calgirl, what are some of the foods you enhance with this salsa? Oops, I guess you answered that right off the bat. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-10-2004).]

- californiagirl - 05-10-2004

WOW- I think that the only thing I may add to that list would be any fish or grilled pork chops. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

KC- Judy said that this was a big hit. Recommend not omitting any of the ingredients in this one, just increasing or decreasing to your tastes... and the possible roasting of the red pepper. I've also added some pineapple juice when the mango was in short supply. Not bad, just not the best.

- mrdutton - 05-13-2004

Oh I just knew you meant EVOO, but I just had to make a comment about the OO in your recipe.

There is a show on the Food Channel where the hostess always talks about using EVOO in her recipes. She never says Extra Virgin Olive Oil, always says EVOO.

As for the comments on the alcohol and peppers, I think I might have posted incorrectly. There is nothing in your salsa recipe that calls for peppers.

There was another post in this forum that was talking about a hot curry. I think that is where the post about vodka or tequila should have gone.

Sorry............

- californiagirl - 05-13-2004

Yup- I've heard Rachel Ray, Sarah Moulton and Bobby Flay all refer to it as that.... I just short hand whenever possible.

The recipe has both the sweet and semi-hot peppers. Red bell and jalepeno. All the ingredients tend to balance the others out and you don't end up with that spicy hot tingling on your tongue. Although, if we were talking about my once a week salsa, I completely agree with you.

6-8 vine ripe tomatoes, (hot house just aren't the same)
2-4 garlic cloves
1-2 jalepenos
1 cup chopped cilantro
6-8 green onion/scallion
salt/pepper to taste
2-3 TBSP red wine vinegar
2-3 TBSP lime juice
1-2 tsp EVOO
hot sauce to taste

I pulse the garlic, jalepenos, grn onion separately in a mini chopper, (due to allergies, cuts down on the crying- only thing that works). Everything gets tossed into my food processor and pulsed until restaurant consistency. (I don't care for my regular salsa to be chunky.)

That recipe tends to be good and hot...