WineBoard
wine on Sunday - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: wine on Sunday (/thread-2881.html)

- Thomas - 06-08-2003

I suppose you all know about the STUPID legislation in NY that now allows liquor and wine shops to open on Sunday--provided we pick another day to close.

Turns out the State Liquor Ass...I mean Authorities, don't like the legislation, not because it is STUPID, but because it will mean more work for them to enforce. And so, with the ink on the legislation still wet, there is talk of it being changed to what it should have been in the first place--7 days a week.

It is all a plot, however, the first salvo in the wine-in-supermarket-law sought by big grocery chains. Until wine is given a 7-day sanction, supermarkets are uninterested in selling it, and until it is given the 7-day sanction, the SLA will not open it to supermarkets.

Oh yeah, in its infinite stupidity the legislature also placed a moratorium on new licenses. That was done to raise the value of licenses so that those retailers against Sunday sales (and there are many) would feel like they gained something. What the state lost is tax revenue by restricting new businesses from opening; what the state's resident's lost (especially the ones who were waiting for a new license) is the right to do business in this truly backward-thinking state, plus potential jobs.

Stay tuned. NY is still grappling with the concept of the evil juice being shipped across state lines.

It's enough to make me want to live in Iran again. At least there the government doesn't play games or lie--they just remove your liberty and tell you they are doing it.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-08-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 06-10-2003

I chuckle? (groan?) at the no wine sales or serving wine until noon on Sunday. I was in a hotel restaurant for Sunday brunch recently (can't remember if it was in DC or NYC) and ordered a glass of wine. They said we can't serve it for about five more minutes--have to wait until noon on Sunday. More discouraging is Greenville, SC which doesn't allow restaurants to serve wine (or liquor) at all on Sundays. I went to an Italian restaurant for a Sunday night dinner after an NFL game (when Carolina Panthers played at Clemson University Stadium the first year or two). I asked for a glass of Chianti and the waitress looked at me like I was the biggest sinner she had ever seen! "It's Sunday," she said. "We don't serve wine." I felt like saying, "that didn't stop Jesus. Wonder if the wedding at Cana was on a Sunday."

- Thomas - 06-10-2003

I should know the answer to that question; the name of my winery was Cana Vineyards...we did serve on Sunday.

- barnesy - 06-10-2003

We had blue laws when I was in Idaho. Some varied from city to city. Tried to order a bailey's milkshake at a Red Robin's in Nampa but couldn't because it was sunday. Also, we had odd liquor and beer hours between the counties. One county quit serving liquor at a certain time, but kept beer. The other stopped serving beer but kept serving liquor at about the same time. So at that time, you'd get the county line dive as drinkers drove across the county lines to continue their drinking. Talk about stupid "family preservation" laws that rack up the DUI crap.

Barnesy