WineBoard
UPS is still out to lunch - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine and Politics (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: UPS is still out to lunch (/thread-2819.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 11-13-2003

Took a couple of bottles of Bordeaux to the local UPS store for shipment, and wound up in a shouting match with the snot-nosed kid who called himself the manager. They still don't understand that sometimes the laws DO change, even in Texas.

- Thomas - 11-13-2003

Hotsie, it's been my understanding that UPS allows autonomy to its many so-called managers across the country; they can decide if their office will accept or reject a shipment.

In a particular area smack in the middle of the Finger Lakes wine region, there is a person who calls himself a "Christian who cannot accept alcohol in the society," and since he runs the UPS office, his place rejected lots of winery shipments.

- Innkeeper - 11-13-2003

I always tell them and put on the shipping slip, "Glass packed goods, packed in styrofoam."

- Auburnwine - 11-13-2003

Here's the official UPS policy:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/alcohol.html

- Georgie - 11-13-2003

SSH! Better not tell the Catholics and the Episcopalians about the Christianity vs. alcohol issue....honestly! that kind of mentality causes me to have some mighty Un-Christian thoughts!

- hotwine - 11-13-2003

The list that AW pointed to is the problem.... it doesn't reflect the addition of Texas, as of about July of this year, when the federal judge in Houston ruled the state's restrictions on wine shipments to be in violation of the Constitution's interstate commerce claus. UPS and other shippers will get the word, eventually.

- Auburnwine - 11-13-2003

Several years ago, some yahoos at UPS dumped out many hundreds of dollars of "illegally shipped" wine in Northern Alabama instead of shipping it back the way it came.

When Roy Moore gets the Republican nod for governor in a couple of years, we'll lucky to be able to buy any wine in the Heart of Dixie.

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 11-13-2003).]

- quijote - 11-13-2003

When I lived in Alabama, Bruno's was pretty much the only place with a truly basic wine selection, and since I didn't know much about wines back then, that statement says a lot. The ABC liquor-control stores seemed to think that all they needed was to carry Santa Rita and Jacob's Creek. I hope things are different in Auburn!

And congrats on the recent Roy Moore developments....

- Thomas - 11-13-2003

What I failed to mention in my post about the UPS local office in the Finger Lakes is that the shipments were legal--sent within New York--yet the guy still denied them.

- winoweenie - 11-14-2003

Punch him out Foodster, or better yet put him in Georgies class. That sucker'll wear out the soles of his shoes in her corner. WW

- tandkvd - 11-14-2003

I have a daughter that works foe a UPS Store, and she tells me that since UPS tok over Mail Boxes Etc. that they have droped there prices. They (the local store here) are now strugling to stay in business. I dought they would turn away any business.

I can't say that I would condem a person for standing up for there principals. I myself was in the group condeming all alcolhol for years. Mainly because of my fear of alcolhol.
At 20 years old I was fired for drinking on the job. I drank to get drunk. That was at the time I met my wife to be. I decided that it was time for me to grow up. I didn't drink a drop of alcolhol for about 14 years. I now enjoy wine moderatly and have a healthy fear/respect of alcolhol, knowing it's potential for harm to me and the ones I love. I now drink a glass of wine for enjoyment not to get drunk.

- willp58 - 11-30-2003

Someone wrote:
<<<When Roy Moore gets the Republican nod for governor in a couple of years, we'll lucky to be able to buy any wine, >>>

All this time I thought the Republicans were the hard drinking "Good Ol'" Boys.
Cliches' always did mix me up tho....

- Auburnwine - 11-30-2003

It's more fun to tell people what to do than to do it yourself. Witness Limbaugh, Bennett, Gingrich, etc.

Some folks on this board vote the straight Christian Coalition voting list, whoever the ayatollahs tell them.

- Thomas - 11-30-2003

But more to the point: liquor warehouse and distribution lobbyists (and bag men) pay big time to politician coffers so that shipping laws remain restrictive. It's the American way, don't you know? As with so many bad policies, all you need do to discover the source is follow the $ trail.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-30-2003).]

- winoweenie - 12-01-2003

Gracious AW when did the Muslims start letting their guys indulge in the great wine pastime? Ayatollah tells them? WW

- Auburnwine - 12-01-2003

Naw, WW, I was referring to our homegrown ayatollahs: Falwell, Robertson, ex-Judge Roy, and a bunch of local wanna-be's.

They figure they could run our lives as well as Mullah Omar could. Mama said "Never trust anybody who thinks that he has a direct link to the minds of God and the Founding Fathers."

- Innkeeper - 12-01-2003

Of course AW's ayatollahs are Al Franken, Michael Moore, David Corn, and Molly Ivins.

- Auburnwine - 12-01-2003

Yep, I hear and I obey.

- Thomas - 12-01-2003

...and I notice that none of AW's leaders claim neither a direct line to God nor the audacity to impose a moral code.

You go AW. See you Saturday!

- wondersofwine - 12-01-2003

I mentioned in front of a young lady that I was buying some wine for a church Thanksgiving dinner and she said "That's funny--wine at church!" I just told her that I'm an Episcopalian and we have wine at Communion so it isn't strange to us (but I wanted to goad her about Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding)--yeah, Foodie, like the name of your vineyard.