WineBoard
Turning You Green with Envy? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Turning You Green with Envy? (/thread-2813.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-30-2001

This Thursday is the last in a series of wine tasting benefits (held in Raleigh) for the American Red Cross. I've been to all except the one in connection with Junior League pre-Christmas Shopping Spree (Italian reds, white burgundies, red burgundies, and now extraordinary wines).
Cost is $100 per person limited to 24 people, but as wine shop guru says, we will be tasting from $4000 worth of wine (at retail prices).
Champagnes
'90 Philipponat "Clos des Goisses"
'90 Pol Roger "Cuvee Winston Churchill"
White Burgundies
'99 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet
'69 (not a typo) Leroy Le Montrachet!!!
Red Burgundies
'93 Rousseau Chambertin
'90 de Vogue Musigny V.V.
Northern Rhones
'90 Jaboulet Hermitage "La Chapelle"
'78 Guigal Cote Rotie "La Landonne"
Australian Shiraz
'98 Veritas "Hanish" Shiraz (Parker 99)
'96 Three Rivers Shiraz (Parker 100)
Ports
'63 Dow Vintage Port
'55 Taylor's Vintage Port
Wine shop owners have little or no extra bottles to sell, but their estimation of retail prices range from the Philipponat Champagne at $90 a bottle to $795 for the Le Montrachet from Leroy.
Salut!

- winoweenie - 10-30-2001

Drink up you lucky sucker! WW

- mrdutton - 10-30-2001

My tongue turns purple with envy, have fun!!

All that wine and so little time.........

- wondersofwine - 11-14-2001

Report on Benefit Tasting of Extraordinary Wines:
I'm not a Champagne aficionado--the '90 Pol Roger "Cuvee /Winston Churchill" (top Parker rating)left me numb, literally--maybe chilled a bit too much. I prefered the less expensive '90 Philipponat "Clos des Goisses."
My idea of heaven--the '99 Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet and '69 Leroy Le Montrachet. It was interesting trying famous white burgundies 30 years apart. The Le Montrachet was a recent release, recorked. The Chevalier-Montrachet was a very pleasant wine with wood integrated with fruit and a long finish. It may develop further charms and complexity with a few years in bottle. I found the Le Montrachet to taste and look like a young wine--it hadn't browned or turned dark gold like some older Rieslings I've had. It was luscious but I was unable to pick out particular fruit or floral aromas--just liked the overall impression.
On to the red burgundies and a very enticing '93 Rousseau Chambertin with blackberries on the nose and palate. The '90
de Vogue Musigny V.V. (from old vines) was a disappointment. Closed and tannic. We were told that this was a controversial year for red Burgundies--showed great promise but some have turned pruney or never lived up to potential. I don't have the expertise to know if this Musigny will improve with another five or ten years but I would not risk the money to find out.

We then tried two southern France reds, a '90 Jouboulet Hermitage "La Chapelle" and a '78 Guigal Cote Rotie "La Landonne." Not my cup of tea (or glass of wine).

Then the '98 Veritas "Hanish" Shiraz (Parker 99 points) and '96 Three Rivers Shiraz (Parker 100 points). Both were very enjoyable fruity, spicy wines. Two at my table thought the Three Rivers was decidedly better. I couldn't tell that much difference between them as far as quality--possibly Parker couldn't either if he rated them within one point of each other.

We finished with two ports. As we savored the '63 Dow Vintage Port, one man at the table kept saying he would be very surprised if the '55 Taylor's Vintage Port equaled it. When the second port was poured, he became quiet. The Taylor port equaled or maybe even surpassed the Dow port. A wonderful evening of wonderful wines--wish they were also wonderfully affordable, which alas they are not.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-14-2001).]