WineBoard
Pinehurst Wine and Food Festival, Labor Day Weekend - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Pinehurst Wine and Food Festival, Labor Day Weekend (/thread-2670.html)

- wondersofwine - 08-06-2010

This is a four-day event but I will be attending only 1 1/2 days (Saturday all day and overnight through Sunday brunch.) The gala dinner Saturday night has the same menu with four different wine distributors providing wine pairings for each of the four courses so attendees choose which distributor's wines that want with the meal. I went with Country Vintner (my second choice was Empire.)

Saturday I am attending sessions on Washington State wines, a lunch with old world cuisine and wines, a session on Malbec with Catena Zapata wines, one on Napa Valley wines and one on Central Coast wines, followed by walk around to different distributors' booths and then gala dinner. (Good thing I'm staying nearby in Holly Inn. If I'm not fit to drive I can take the resort shuttle.)

Champagne brunch on Sunday.

Here is the menu and pairings for Saturday night's gala dinner:

Course # 1 –Foie Gras & Homard: Organic Foie Gras Balotin with Sauternes and Fig, Fleur De Sel, Lobster
Salad, and Cranberry Walnut Loaf Bread– featured by Pinehurst Resort Executive Chef Thierry Debailleul.

Course # 2 – Potato and Truffle Ravioli with Smoked Eel and Sage Miso Beurre Monte– featured by Chef
Chris Hylton of The Mint Restaurant.

Course # 3 –Beef Tenderloin “Bourguignon”, Wild Mushrooms, Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, and Pinot
Noir Reduction– featured by Chef Collin Crowley of Terlato Wines International.

Course # 4 – Milk Chocolate Jivara Napoleon, Honey Citrus Sauce, and Indian Curry Mango Sorbet– by
Chef Florian Bellanger of Mad-Mac.

Mark 1 to 4 Distributor/
Sponsor
Wine Course
Mutual
Weingut Fred Loimer Gruner Veltliner
Montes “Cherub” Rose of Syrah
Franciscan “Magnificat” & J Lohr “Hilltop” Cabernet
Sauvignon
Guenoc Winery 2001 Vintage Port

Empire
Clos des Quarternons, Cremant de la Loire
Grgich Hills Chardonnay, Napa Valley 2007
“Sanford & Benedict” Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 Santa
Rita Hills
BV Muscat de Beaulieu

Classic
Bisol Prosecco Crede
Terredora Greco Di Tufo
Produttori Barbaresco
Pineto Brachetto D Acqui

Country
Vintner
Chateau Sahuc-Lestour
Venica “Jesera” Pinot Grigio
Alysian Pinot Noir Select
Pierre Moncuit “Delos” Grand Cru

How would you pair the four courses from the gala dinner and which distributor would you choose?

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-06-2010).]

- TheEngineer - 08-06-2010

WoW, first of all, have a GREAT TIME!

I would pair by simplifying the menu first,

(1) Foie Gras and Lobster
(2) Potato/Truffle Ravioli
(3) Beef
(4) Chocolate/Mango

As such I would not do the first one (Mark 1 to 4) cuz syrah does not match truffle Ravioli and that cab might overrun beef

I like empire a lot cuz it start with sparkler which does well with lobster (I seriously doubt that there will be a lotof foie gras....) and the chard (more naked then oaked now, less malo), would work with the pasta and the pinot would do well with the Beef

I also like Classic cus while not a big fan of Greco Di Tufo, it will work with the stuffing, and barbaresco would go with Beef and I like the Brachetto D Acqui with the chocolate, but it will overwhelm the mango.

I'm not sure of the last, my only curiosity would be for the pierre moncuit ending (I love their champagnes....)

- wondersofwine - 08-06-2010

I was forgetting about the Brachetto with chocolate combination which I have championed before and as I recall, the Pineta Brachetto is less sweet than the Rosa Regale from Banfi.

I chose Country Vintner for the Sauternes with foie gras and the Alysian Pinot Noir (Gary Farrell's new winery.) Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir tempted me from Empire along with the sparkling wine from the Loire. (I have had Bonaccorsi Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir but not the winery's own production.) Glad to hear you like the Pierre Moncuit Champagne as I am not familiar with it but see that it's received some nice reviews on CellarTracker.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-06-2010).]