WineBoard
Australian Shiraz recommendation - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Australian Shiraz recommendation (/thread-267.html)

- joel7401 - 07-06-2000

I am looking for suggestions for a Shiraz to serve at my outdoor wedding. I would like the wine to be soft, fruity and quite drinkable now. I would also prefer the cost to be $10 or less.

- winoweenie - 07-06-2000

Joel, Welcome to the Board! YThink you`ve narrowed your cherce to one of my favorites, the Rosemount 98. Fits your specs to a " T "Winoweenie

- hotwine - 07-06-2000

Maybe there is such an animal - a soft & fruity Australian Shiraz - but a Cru Beaujolais from Georges Duboeuf would satisfy those adjectives, especially a Julienas, Chiroubles, Moulin-A-Vent or Morgon. Any of those should be in the $10 range.
Congratulations & best wishes.

- Drew - 07-06-2000

Joal7401, welcome to this board. Wyndhams bin 555 is a nice shiraz for $10 or less also Penfolds 1998 Koonunga Hill Shiraz-Cab blend is a nice wine for $10. Banrock Station 1999 Shiraz was given a good rating by Wine Spectator (85 or 86) and I've seen it offered for $7.00 but I haven't tried it yet. Rosemount is always a good choice and usually you can find different bottles for $12 or less. Why not pick up a bottle of each and try before you buy.
You also might want to look a Chilean Merlot 1998 Concho y Toro Diablo, very dark, plush and soft all for under $10.
Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-06-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 07-06-2000

Joel, you haven't mentioned what you're serving with this, but unless the have a whole gang of Winoweeies (he only drinks red) you should probably have an equal amount of a white. We would recommend the Wyndham, Bin 555, Shiraz, and the Wyndham, Bin 222, Chardonnay (zip it Winecollector [he thinks I don't drink it]). There is a cheaper and inferior Chardonnay from Wyndham called Oak Cask, Hunter Valley; so go with the Bin 222. You should be able to get both from the same dealer.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-06-2000).]

- winecollector - 07-06-2000

There's hope for you yet, Innkeeper! Now, if we could only get Winoweenie to drink some of those sissy wines....

- Thomas - 07-07-2000

Joel, I have had the Banrock Station Shiraz, Chardonnay and Chardonnay/Semillon blend. Each is good for a wedding and each is a bargain. I have seen them as low as $6 a bottle. You would save enough money to afford both red and white.

Do not invite winoweenie to the wedding. He will embarrass you into hiding the white wines under a table....

- winoweenie - 07-07-2000

Joel, Some of the advice given for your up-coming nupitals are sound and correct. HOWEVER, don`t be misled by some shots taken at that lil` sweetheart winoweenie by certain members of our fair board. He`s sincere, sweet, handsome, and when broached on the subject, I admit, he may sound SLIGHTLY prejudicial towards red over white. Have fun and drink whatever as long as you can detect the crimson hue. Anon

- joel7401 - 07-07-2000

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will start searching, pricing & tasting to make my selection. I already have my white wine, Camelot Chardonnay 1997 (a Kendall Jackson brand). It is nicely balanced with some subtle fruit tones. Also a great value at the purchase price of $6.99 a bottle.

- Randy Caparoso - 07-08-2000

The Rosemount "Diamond" Shiraz is easily the most widely available of the "soft" style Shirazes available in the U.S. For something unusual, the Grant Burge from Barossa Valley is extraordinarily rich, yet round, soft, positively plump with spicy, juicy flavors; $12-$15 in most markets.