WineBoard
Sate Daging and Nasi Goring - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Sate Daging and Nasi Goring (/thread-266.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2006

We did Indonesian last night. We had to toss our shrimp paste when we moved, and could only find the replacement on line. We had everything else on hand. Have to admit we had malt beverage with it!

SATE DAGING
(Grilled Beef on Skewers)

12 oz Skirt steak in 1” cubes
½ C Coconut milk (made with unsweetened coconut)
¼ C Soy sauce
1 T Brown sugar
6 Kemiri nuts ground (or Macadamias)
½ tsp Shrimp paste
1 tsp Ground turmeric
1 tsp Ground coriander
½ tsp Ground caraway seed
½ tsp Ground ginger
¼ tsp Ground cloves
1 Onion minced finely

Whisk all ingredients after beef together. Toss the beef cubes in marinade. Marinate overnight in refrigerator. Thread onto soaked bamboo skewers, and broil or grill till cooked to your desire; basting with marinade throughout. Serve with peanut sauce for dipping.

PEANUT SAUCE:

2 T Conimex Gado-Gado Mix (or 2 T crunchy peanut butter and ¼ tsp crushed red pepper)
2 T Water

Mix together over heat (double if using following recipe).

NASI GORING:
(Indonesian Fried Rice)

2 Onions chopped
2 Cloves garlic minced
½ C Peanut oil
1 C Raw rice (short grain)
2 C Chicken stock
1 C Shredded cooked chicken
1 C Diced ham
1 C Cooked popcorn shrimp (native Maine shrimp)
1 tsp Shrimp paste
¼ tsp Cayenne
¼ tsp Ground white pepper
¼ tsp Ground mace
1 T Sweet paprika
2 tsp Laos root
1 tsp Ground cumin
¼ C Peanut sauce

Cook rice in stock; cool & dry. Sauté onion in oil until golden. Dissolve shrimp paste in onions and add garlic and other spices (not peanut sauce yet). Cook spice mixture for five minutes (the shrimp paste will smell like terrible for a while, but eventually dies down). Add rice and mix thoroughly with spices. Add meat and shrimp and stir till heated through. Stir in peanut sauce. Place on warm platter, garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro, and serve.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-21-2006).]

- hotwine - 03-21-2006

At first glance, the heading on this looked like it HAD to be from the Wiener's Institute of Advanced Typing Studies!

- robr - 03-21-2006

Yeah, I thought it was spelled "Nazi Goering" all these years.

- Kcwhippet - 03-21-2006

When the Dutch were still there it was called Rijsttafel. Do you think the Weener could type that?

- hotwine - 03-21-2006

Hell, I can't even pronounce it!

Quick tale: in '74 while visiting the Hague on business, I and a friend tooled around Scheveningen (sp), looking for a restaurant for dinner. We spotted a place, but parking was very limited. There happened to be an open spot along the curb, but it had a sign over it that was totally undecipherable. We stood on the sidewalk, trying to figure that thing out, and along came an elderly Dutch couple, out for their evening stroll. They immediately sensed our bewilderment, and the lady said softly, "The sign says you may park here between the 18 hour and the 6 hour if you wish" (overnight, IOW). In perfect English, of course. Then they both smiled and shuffled on their way.

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2006

When we lived in Hawaii we had a gourmet club and we loved to have Rijsttafels. Each member would bring a dish. Lots of fun.

- Kcwhippet - 03-21-2006

The Dutch Rijsttafel is considerably more complex than the Nasi Goring, because they liked to turn it into a massive event. The base is the same but they often went overboard on the presentation. I had a wonderful, and talented, lady working for me when I was out in CA, and she was originally from Jakarta where her father was someone of importance. He was Dutch and her mother was Indonesian, and she, her name was Marika, occasionally had us over for Rijsttafel which was rather elaborate. She often brought leftovers to work for her lunch and then it was called Nasi Goring. I guess it depended on the occasion and the pagentry.

- Innkeeper - 03-22-2006

Nasi Goring is a fried rice that can be made from the leftovers of a Rijsttafel, or can be a part of it as made above.