WineBoard
Red Meat and wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Red Meat and wine (/thread-247.html)

- getget - 12-19-1999

I am surving a red meat for Christmas diner and I would like to know a good wine that goes with red meat.The red meat is a standing rib roast

[This message has been edited by getget (edited 12-19-1999).]

- Innkeeper - 12-19-1999

Regardless of the dish, Christmas, like other big holidays and occassions screams for bubbly. Two that go great with red meat are Hardy's Shiraz, Australian Sparkling Wine @ $17.00, and per recommendation of W.C. hisself and the ever reliable Bucko, you could look for a Ukranian import call Krimskoye, that puts out a Sparkling Cabernet @ $12. Happy Holiday.

- Bucko - 12-19-1999

What type of red meat (beef, buffalo, venison...)? How is it being cooked (broiled, baked, grilled, barbequed....)? Choice of wine depends on these.

Bucko

- Randy Caparoso - 12-19-1999

Good God, this is a Novice's section! Freaky Friday is a video.

If you're serving beef, the safest, best tasting red wine is Cabernet Sauvignon. California puts out tons of smooth, reasonably priced brands. My favorite value is Laurel Glen "Terra Rosa" ($8-$11), a classic choice is Beaulieu ("B.V.") "Rutherford," and three of my current middle range favorites ($14-$18) are Kunde, Justin, and Rosemount "Traditional" (the latter, a Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Petit Verdot blend). If you have a good wine merchant in your neighborhood, they might have a few reasonably priced Bordeaux crus (also made mostly from Cabernet Sauvignon and/or Merlot) to choose from. Ask 'em.

The Cabernet route might indeed seem traditional, but it's hard to beat with roast beef!

- Bucko - 12-19-1999

Sorry, but I disagree. It is important to know what type of meat and how it is prepared, novice or not. Some wine novices may be real gourmet cooks, serving venison with an earthy mushroom sauce. Cabernet would be unsuitable in this case, where an earthy Pinot Noir such as Mount Eden would be the perfect match.

Bucko

- Bucko - 12-19-1999

Ooops, hit the send button too quick. If you are serving plain baked standing rib roast, then a Cabernet based wine, or a Meritage wine (a blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and sometimes Cabernet Franc). Many Merlots will also match the roast nicely. Look for 1997 Hahn, Merlot, Santa Lucia Highlands, $11. Rich black cherry fruit, a dab of olive, balanced oak and soft tannins. An incredible value.

Bucko

20 to 1 an everyday consumer is talking about beef when he says "standing rib roast," Bucko. I agree with you that Merlot is also good for it. But I described Cabernet Sauvignon as the "safe" choice because of this: rib roasts are usually higher in fat, and so the extra tannin and feeling of density in a Cabernet Sauvignon based red wine does a slightly better job at "mopping" up the marbling and natural juices. If he was talking about, say, beef tenderloin or filet, I'd be more apt to say Merlot; since lower tannin Bordeaux varietals do just fine with lower fat cuts. I'm sure I'll get no argument here. If you're a regular beef eater, you do this almost automatically (or as the French say, "a priori") -- pick a Cabernet (or Pauillac, St. Estephe, etc.) for striploin or prime rib, and a Merlot (or Pomerol, or even a beefier Cote de Nuits) with the filet mignon or entrecote.

Of course, I agree with your Pinot Noir assessment with venison, since most parts of Bambi are fairly lean. If it's a fattier cut of venison, of course, then I say Syrah, which has extra spice and more tannin to handle the gamier, fattier parts.

- Innkeeper - 12-19-1999

Look guys, the first key word after red meat is Christmas. Where I come from we don't wait for New Years for bubbly. Have had it every Christmas since I was eight. If you don't agree with the red bubblies, maybe you could go with a high quality Asti Spumante. If the Germans can have Auslese with their steak, the Asti should go as well with standing ribs as it does with goose.

Sorry. It's called "responsibility." I could say, "drink Pinot Noir" because I drink Pinot Noir with everything. But we're obligated to give the best answer.

Champagne or otherwise is definitely for the holidays -- toasting, canapes, bathtubs and beddy-bye, you name it. But it's not for roast beef.

- Jerry D Mead - 12-20-1999

Geyser Peak "Sonoma County" Cab...96 or 97...both knockouts and great values at $15 list...a lot less at most discounters.

(If both vintages available, go for the 1997)