WineBoard
California Icon Estates--Part Two (Red Wines) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: California Icon Estates--Part Two (Red Wines) (/thread-2437.html)

- wondersofwine - 01-11-2010

I forgot to say that the meeting was in the new party room at Luigi's Restaurant (very nice.) With the white wines we had servings of bread with olive oil dip, grilled shrimp and crabmeat stuffed mushroom caps.

With the red wine we had servings of sausage, garlic mashed potatoes, creamed broccoli, and roasted beef.

2007 SAINTSBURY STANLY RANCH PINOT NOIR, Carneros Darker, earthier quality than the next Pinot Noir.
Available for $43.20 a bottle.

2007 AP VIN ROSELLA'S VINEYARD PINOT NOIR, Santa Lucia Highlands
Paler color than the Saintsbury. Some transparency. Nose and flavor of red cherries. I really liked this and ordered one bottle for later pickup. Available at $41.85 a bottle.

2006 MELVILLE ESTATE DONNA'S VINEYARD SYRAH, Santa Rita Hills.
Peppery. Didn't really do a lot for me. I like their Pinot Noirs better. They make only 650 cases of this.
Available for $39.60 a bottle.

2007 SEGHESIO OLD VINE ZINFANDEL, Sonoma County
Winery bonded as #56 winery in CA back in 1895. 90+ year old vines. The wine smells a little candied. Viscous. Black and red fruit. I have liked the Seghesio Zins in some vintages.
Available for $37.79 a bottle.

2006 CHAPPELET MERLOT, Napa Valley
In business since 1969. Quality Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. High elevation vineyards. Very fruity. Raspberry?
Available for $35.10 a bottle.

2006 FERRARI-CARANO "TRESOR" 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc (I didn't catch the other percentages.) Again tastes somewhat candied. I have liked this better in a previous vintage.
Available for $53.99 a bottle.

2004 CHALK HILL CABERNET SAUVIGNON, Napa Valley Blended red.
Includes 9% Malbec and some Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Wine has been produced on the estate since 1860. Pungent nose. I was getting some furniture polish on the nose. I liked this on the palate better than on the nose. I have heard that Chalk Hill is also known for the Chardonnay they produce.
This red blend was available for $38.50 a bottle which might be reasonable for the quality.

2005 RUBICON ESTATE CASK CABERNET SAUVIGNON, Napa Valley 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. (Gene Pierce first introduced me to Rubicon at an offline in the Finger Lakes) Rutherford District. I got red and black currants; mellow, approachable now. (Critics mentioned red cherry and blackberry and chocolate so I may have been imagining the currants.) I liked this well enough to splurge on two bottles at $52.50 each. Listed on the label as "Cask" wine. "Wine Enthusiast" score of 90, 95 points from "Wine News." Critics agreed that it is approachable now but can age for 10 years or more.

2005 ROBERT MONDAVI PRIVATE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON, Napa Valley
To Kalon Vineyards. His C.S. Reserve has come from this vineyard from the beginning. Another approachable 2005. I got black currants and subtle saddle leather. Priced beyond my range at $114.75 a bottle but I may have liked this even better than the Rubicon.

(The 2001 Robert Mondavi Private Reserve C.S. was also available to us at $120 a bottle but we didn't get to taste it.)

2007 QUADY ESSENSIA, California
I have had this dessert wine from Orange Muscat on several occasions. I found orange zest and tangerine zest in the flavors along with brown sugar? Others say orange blossom and apricot in the scents and flavors.
Available for $24.30 a bottle. We could also purchase half bottles at $15.08 and I may go back and order a couple half bottles.

We also received Port glasses to take home which I have already used for the Cockburn Ruby Port.