WineBoard
Post Holiday Pairing Suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Post Holiday Pairing Suggestions (/thread-239.html)

- dozer - 12-26-2005

Just wondering if anyone made any good discoveries over Christmas?
To match with hickory smoked ham?
Or pork marinated in Italian dressing?

- hotwine - 12-26-2005

We had a hickory-smoked ham, and also some leftover turkey and dressing from Thanksgiving. Sides included au gratin spuds and a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall now but will probably see again for supper. With mimosas and artichoke rolls for appetizers, I needed a versatile wine and chose a Sancerre. Big hit.

- brappy - 12-27-2005

No offense HotWine but Thanksgiving was a time in the past. Food doesn't last that long. So what you did is quite wrong. I don't want to hear anymore. Thanks anyway mark

- hotwine - 12-27-2005

Couldn't care less.

- winoweenie - 12-27-2005

Brapster. Ever hear of the freezer? WW

- robr - 12-27-2005

I have. Got a big one in my garage, packed to the brim with leftovers (a lot of sweets I'm going to toss when no one is looking) and a half-ton of venison.

Anybody got any ideas for recipes for venison cube steak and roast? I usually just throws it all on the grill.

- hotwine - 12-27-2005

I would use the cube steak in a stew with lean beef cubes added for flavor.

For a roast, I prefer to smoke it like it was a beef brisket:
- Prepare an oak fire and bring the pit to 250F;
- sprinkle a dry rub on all sides of the roast. The rub should consist of equal parts black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
- lay the roast directly on the smoker grill and cook for 15 minutes (modified from the brisket's recipe time of 45 minutes);
- remove the roast and wrap loosely in foil; return the roast to the smoker grill.
- continue cooking at 250F until the total time in the pit amounts to one hour per pound.
- Remove the foil package and open carefully to avoid spilling hot grease everywhere.
- Slice into one end to check for doneness; there shouldn't be any blood visible. Close the foil and return the roast to the pit if necessary.

Venison is naturally lean.... very lean... so it can dry out quickly if cooked too hot or too long. It may take practice to get your technique down with your specific equipment.

- robr - 12-27-2005

Sounds like you've done this before. Thanks HW, I'll try this asap.

- Drew - 12-28-2005

Just saw this thread, Wow Brappy, what's up with that response to one of our moderators...civility on leave??

Drew

- robr - 12-28-2005

I think Brappy's remark was meant to be humorous. It just didn't come off that way.

- winoweenie - 12-29-2005

Bern I read this post 4 times before making my vanilla post. If this is Brapsters' best attempt at levity I suggest he buys the book " Humor for Dummies ' WW

- brappy - 01-02-2006

Just came across this again. My post was more tongue in cheek. Sorry if I upset anyone. My -not so funny humor- came across more like bad manners. Very sorry, Mark